Can you guys school me on how to cook SPICEY green beans?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I got some green beans from the store, snapped off both ends, got them all washed and clean:

20200410_202945.jpg

I also bought some of this pork seasoning stuff, which I assume is what you need to get them really nice and tastey because I tried them ages ago with lots of bacon but they just tasted almost like unflavored green beans:

20200410_202958.jpg

Can you folk give me some good ways to cook them? Boil them I assume. Add how much of this pork stuff to flavor them up all nice n' juicy? What else to add? Salt and pepper? Garlic power? Let's get some SPICEY shiat up in here! Remember, you are ATOTers, not Motherboarders!!!!

Thanks!!!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
if you want them spicy then just add some hot peppers like jalapeno, bird's eye or habanero.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
??? I didn't see you enlarge anything...

HOoI8Mx.gif

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
If you want to make veggies taste good learn to glaze. Essentially cook, like boiling with just enough water to cover. When the veggies are almost cooked and the water almost gone, add whatever spices you like. Garlic, chili powder, cayenne for spicy beans or a chicken bouillon cube with a dash of honey or maple syrup and some butter for sweet carrots. Cook until the liquid almost completely evaporates, it leaves a sticky residue behind which coats the vegetables and carries all the flavor with it. There are a million different flavor combinations to try, use whatever spices you have on hand. You can make carrots or beans every day for a month and they'd never taste the same if you're creative. It takes a little practice to get the timing right so that the food is properly cooked and not too mushy once the liquid reduces down to a glaze. When you have a sense of how long it takes it's easy.

Reactions: brianmanahan

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
If you want to make veggies taste good learn to glaze. Essentially cook, like boiling with just enough water to cover. When the veggies are almost cooked and the water almost gone, add whatever spices you like. Garlic, chili powder, cayenne for spicy beans or a chicken bouillon cube with a dash of honey or maple syrup and some butter for sweet carrots. Cook until the liquid almost completely evaporates, it leaves a sticky residue behind which coats the vegetables and carries all the flavor with it. There are a million different flavor combinations to try, use whatever spices you have on hand. You can make carrots or beans every day for a month and they'd never taste the same if you're creative. It takes a little practice to get the timing right so that the food is properly cooked and not too mushy once the liquid reduces down to a glaze. When you have a sense of how long it takes it's easy.

Damn OcammsToothbrush, that is some deep shiat. Like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. Gonna read up on it, thanks!

But I really mean just some spices to add to that pork addition to some green beans when I'm boiling them up. Like probably salt, pepper and garlic. Not HOT spicey, just good tasting. Once I have that basic stuff down I'll push into perfecting your method, which sounds AWESOME, lol. Thanks!!!

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Damn OcammsToothbrush, that is some deep shiat. Like Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. Gonna read up on it, thanks!

But I really mean just some spices to add to that pork addition to some green beans when I'm boiling them up. Like probably salt, pepper and garlic. Not HOT spicey, just good tasting. Once I have that basic stuff down I'll push into perfecting your method, which sounds AWESOME, lol. Thanks!!!

Garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, salt and black pepper. Start there and go light. It's easy to add more spice as you go. What spices do you like and what do you have on hand? WTF are you asking us what spices to use? You know what you like better than we do.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Follow this recipe. I've made it a few times and it is the best.

Buy frozen ones next time. I used to buy fresh broccoli and green beans and learned that frozen ones that are already cooked save you a lot of time and dishes.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Follow this recipe. I've made it a few times and it is the best.

Buy frozen ones next time. I used to buy fresh broccoli and green beans and learned that frozen ones that are already cooked save you a lot of time and dishes.

OP, be careful if you make this. You might wake up with huge muscles like that guy! :p

Reactions: Staples

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Ugg, boiled green beans are the worst. People always overcook them. Stir fry is the only way I will cook green beans. If they don't have a slight crunch to them still I cannot eat them.

Toss some sliced garlic in oil, throw in green beans, toss them around a bit, spoon of water, cover, toss occasionally until they are bright green (add some more water if needed). Season to taste (I usually throw some soy sauce and sesame oil on them). If you don't mind extra prep work you can speed up the cooking process by slicing each bean in half.

Reactions: WelshBloke

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ugg, boiled green beans are the worst. People always overcook them. Stir fry is the only way I will cook green beans. If they don't have a slight crunch to them still I cannot eat them.

Toss some sliced garlic in oil, throw in green beans, toss them around a bit, spoon of water, cover, toss occasionally until they are bright green (add some more water if needed). Season to taste (I usually throw some soy sauce and sesame oil on them). If you don't mind extra prep work you can speed up the cooking process by slicing each bean in half.
This. You can blanch them if you want but it's hardly worth the effort for French beans. Fry them. everything tastes better fried.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

also you don`t want to use honey s a glaze because it will give your veggies a mildly sweet flavor.....
Now it is hard to make veggies spicey by just boiling them!
What a lot of people do is after they boil the veggies they sprinkle seasoning salt or even a powdered chili powder or cayenne pepper....
Also you could slice some jalapenos and add them to the water while you are boiling the veggies! Also some pepper flakes come to mind!

Good Luck!!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Heat up high smoke point oil, quickly stirfry garlic ginger and chilli flakes. Then add in the beans and salt, stir for like 20 sec and plate.

Last edited: