Can you get infected by aids from a hug?

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001
Can one be infected by aids from a hug if there is a small cut on one's arm and that exposed area touched the skin of a person carrying hiv ?

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
If the person with HIV also has a cut that is exposed and the two cuts touch.

: ) Amanda

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ohtwell
If the person with HIV also has a cut that is exposed and the two cuts touch.

What are the chances of that happening? I heard that even with blood contact, the chance of being infected is not 100%.

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by: murphy55d
yes in fact why don't you go get tested right away? like.. NOW?

Ah.. Dont you know you have to wait 3 months after any high risk incident to get tested ?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I hear that if you take a dump on the same toilet that someone with aids just took a dump in, it can smell pretty bad, and you might get aids
rolleye.gif

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: littlegohan
What are the chances of that happening? I heard that even with blood contact, the chance of being infected is not 100%.

I think the chances of that happening are slim. I'm not sure about the chances of you actually contracting HIV from blood contact.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
rolleye.gif

Both cuts have to be open, and bleeding profusely. Not only that, but the infected person's blood has to be practically injected into the non-infected person's cut. The non-infected person's cut will have an outward flow of blood, making that highly unlikely.

Sex spreads HIV because the contact points are being rubbed together over and over again, under pressure. Now, if an infected person was to have an open cut on his palm and gave you a half hour indian burn over an open cut on your arm... I guess this could happen. But then, you might win the lottery and start dating a supermodel all in the same day, too...

I just wouldn't bet on it.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: AmusedOne
rolleye.gif

Sex spreads HIV because the contact points are being rubbed together over and over again, under pressure. Now, if an infected person was to have an open cut on his palm and gave you a half hour indian burn over an open cut on your arm...

Half an hour? Who lasts half an hour? ;)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
If you are "hugged" from behind in a bathhouse in San Francisco while both of you are naked then.... yes

rolleye.gif

littlegohan

Oct 10, 2001
rolleye.gif

Both cuts have to be open, and bleeding profusely. Not only that, but the infected person's blood has to be practically injected into the non-infected person's cut. The non-infected person's cut will have an outward flow of blood, making that highly unlikely.

Sex spreads HIV because the contact points are being rubbed together over and over again, under pressure. Now, if an infected person was to have an open cut on his palm and gave you a half hour indian burn over an open cut on your arm... I guess this could happen. But then, you might win the lottery and start dating a supermodel all in the same day, too...

thanks for the info, although I am curious to know where you got the info.:);):(

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
rolleye.gif

thanks for the info, although I am curious to know where you got the info.:);):(

Gosh.....beats me. Maybe it was that world wide web thing I hear so much about these days.
rolleye.gif

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Notice that littlegohan asked a question, s/he did not jump to conclusions or sound any alarm, hit a panic button, etc.

The rolling eyes approach might be a better response if s/he had asked the advisability of going on AZT as a treatment after performing said hug.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Yo_Ma-Ma
Notice that littlegohan asked a question, s/he did not jump to conclusions or sound any alarm, hit a panic button, etc.

The rolling eyes approach might be a better response if s/he had asked the advisability of going on AZT as a treatment after performing said hug.
Whatever you say...
rolleye.gif

;)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Yo_Ma-Ma

LOL. You're right, of course. I guess after having done volunteer work for PWAs, I'm a little peeved with the amount of ignorance out there.

Sorry for rolling my eyes, littlegohan.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
What is AZT ? just curious:)
It's a drug used in the treatment of AIDS, I think it's somewhat controversial or at least it was, not sure now.

Here's a link with one description, just do a google search on it and you'll find more information as needed.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I hoped you learned your lesson: Don't hug people with AIDS.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
this thread is dumber than the one with the guy who thinks his girlfriend is pregnant even though she's a virgin.