can you eat coyote?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
My folks are having problems with the local coyote population, and there is a bounty on coyots there, so me and a few folks are going to go coyote hunting here pretty soon. I was just wondering if coyote is edible, and / or what it tastes like (is it worth the hassle).

The ears will be taken off for bounty, and we are gonna see about skinning them, but hate to waste the meat if it's edible.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
There are some coyotes in this area work I work (Rye, NY), 2 or 3 attacks this year.

If someone killed one and there was a barbeque of it, I'd eat some.
But ovbiuously this isn't likely to happen.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would totally eat the hell out of some coyote, if given the chance. Not that I have, I just like eating new things (especially animals).

Ask an asian person. They probably have the most relevant experience with these things. :hmm:

Failing that, it probably makes a decent stew?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I suppose almost anything is edible, I certainly wouldn't eat any type of cannine. I'm sure in some third world country it's probably a delicacy :(

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Coyotes are pretty mangy looking animals. That might fly in a Shanghai back ally but I wouldn't. :p

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Taste like dog. Flavor's a bit too strong in my opinion especially if it's not fresh, but decent if you make a stew out of it with certain spices like lemon grass or made into curry.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I know a lot of people who hunt them for their pelts. Never heard of anyone eating them though. Learn how to skin them correctly - a well skinned pelt is worth far more than a poorly skinned pelt.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
wile-e-coyote.jpg

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
I've lived in Texas all my life and I've never know anybody that ate coyote. Although they are frequently used as fence post decorations :)

They are quite the scoorge to cattle ranchers

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course it's edible. No idea what it tastes like. Probably like a dog, whatever that tastes like. :p

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
They don't eat it even in Mexico, so there's no way in hell I would. They are the nastiest, smelliest animals this side of a skunk. Plus, rabies and the fact that they are scavengers as well as hunters. Nasty bastards.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
dolly parton claims she used to eat possum, so i don't see why not.

as long as its fresh...

in texas they are trying to encourage eatingi of some wild hog or something