Can you be ticketed for not stopping at a stop sign in a private parking lot?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
The private lot only has its own security guards but say a local police officer was in the lot and happened to see you run the sign or roll through. Does he/she have jurisdiction to give you a ticket on the private lot?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Private property = private rules = no public enforcement of minor rules. That holds true in any state that I know of. The exceptions of course, are where major rights are being violated (murder is still not allowed on private property).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
Private property = private rules = no public enforcement of minor rules. That holds true in any state that I know of. The exceptions of course, are where major rights are being violated (murder is still not allowed on private property).

or parking in a handicap spot. :p

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
on the contrary! if police have permission to enforce, they can do so. why do you think you can get a ticket for parking in the handicapped spot at the mall? why do you think you can get a speeding ticket on a college campus?

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
A reverse question:

Can private security enforce rules on public roads? Lets say my company's security sees me blow through a stopsign. Can that dude legally stop me? Or can I just keep on driving even if he's following right behind me?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: 1sikbITCH
Police won't normally have jurisdiction to enforce traffic laws on private property. but if you violate a city ordinance by parking in a fire zone, the city can ticket or tow accordingly.

And of course there is this famous picture of what they can do if you park in front of a hydrant :D

http://ka5cvh.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/Fire%20hose%20through%20car.jpg

I'd rather they give me the choice of taking my chances, and let me park in front of the damn hydrant if I choose to, knowing full well they will smash through my sh*t in the off chance there actually IS a fire.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Sukhoi
A reverse question:

Can private security enforce rules on public roads? Lets say my company's security sees me blow through a stopsign. Can that dude legally stop me? Or can I just keep on driving even if he's following right behind me?

Of course not.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: acemcmac
A reverse question:

Of course not.

I figured not but I didn't know if it was possible for them to have some sort of agreement with local police (it's a very large company) giving them some actual authority.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
If there is a contract between the owner and the department, yes, they can, dispite what everyone else here seems to believe.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
on the contrary! if police have permission to enforce, they can do so. why do you think you can get a ticket for parking in the handicapped spot at the mall? why do you think you can get a speeding ticket on a college campus?

That's what I thought...

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: acemcmac
A reverse question:

Of course not.

I figured not but I didn't know if it was possible for them to have some sort of agreement with local police (it's a very large company) giving them some actual authority.

Giving people law enforcement powers isn't lightly handed out via contract or agreement.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yes, you can be ticketed. That doesn't mean it will hold up in court.