Question Can Xonar DX work without external power supply?

qwsazx

Dec 7, 2018
Hi all.

I've got one simple question: Can Asus Xonar DX work without additional power input? Being powered by PCI-Ex only?

The issue that bothers me in details is that I have Xonar DX in my rig. Properly installed with external power connector plugged in. The card works good - I use it in probably the most power hungry scenario, with headphones plugged into headphone amp.

The only issue I noticed is Xonar Audio Center complaining about lack of external power. I get a warning message and the application closes immediately. I've tested Asus and Uni Xonar drivers, no difference. I know about poor quality of power socket on the card.

Is this just a software bug? Or maybe the card works but without enough power I lack some features like available amplification power or something like this? Any ideas please?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
What is "poor quality" about the power socket? From a pic, looks like a typical floppy connector which should work fine. Unless there's a solder joint crack on the connector, or some series component like an inductor knocked off the card, I'd assume the software is just buggy.

You should be able to use a multimeter to measure whether 5V & 12V is getting to the card on the connector.

qwsazx

Dec 7, 2018
What is "poor quality" about the power socket? From a pic, looks like a typical floppy connector which should work fine.

I've found many complaints about these particular cards and its' socket. Loose pins, no contact, breaking plastic etc. Mine looks OK though.

You should be able to use a multimeter to measure whether 5V & 12V is getting to the card on the connector.

I did it, checking visible parts of socket (pins). Looks good, but I don't know about solder joints cracks inside the PCB.

But the card works properly - so looks like I'm starting to be convinced about annoying software bug. :)

Thank you for your reply!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Solder cracks wouldn't be inside the PCB, rather on the connector pins. There could be some other component with solder cracks in series on the power connector like an inductor I mentioned previously but if it seems to work acceptably I would assume it's just a software bug.