Question Can Windows 11 Home limit HD to 512 GB?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Thanks. I didn't know if there was some secret way of enforcing that limit.

I suppose the OEM could install some scummy third-party driver that enforces a limit of their choosing.

I also suppose that - just like what I've seen with laptop wifi adapters - that an OEM could enforce a hardware-based whitelist of approved storage devices?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
^ Go to the trouble just to open an opportunity for lawsuits? Does not seem likely.

I honestly don't see the point in arguing what scummy practices OEMs might get away with in court, or simply settle out of court quietly for, since IANAL. What I'm absolutely sure is that if they attempted either of what I suggested, they'd have an excuse list as long as my arm to persuade people that it was an honest mistake/software bug so that it never had to go to court (and chances are the user could just switch back to e.g. the standard AHCI driver to avoid the issue). The overall aim would be to make the lives of people who attempt to undermine their product line strategies as awkward as possible in exchange for minimal OEM effort.

OEMs have learnt plenty of tactics over the years, such as providing boards that have the contacts for a 16x PCIE connector or two additional memory module slots but they didn't bother to provide the slots themselves, or provide a PSU that's barely capable of running the official PC specs for a few years let alone an additional internal device.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
MS may give the OEM discount / free OS licenses, if the PC does not exceed certain levels of capability. That's what happened with all of those Atom netbooks back in the day, they got free Windows licenses to convince the mfgs not to turn them into Chromebooks, if the didn't exceed a 12" 768P screen, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
It appears to still permit configuration with it though and is reflected in the price. I think it is 'supposed' to be a limit on RAM that HP is willing to ship with Win11 Home on this system, but someone poo-poo'd the coding? Because when I select Home, it limits RAM options to 8GB only, while storage drive options are still offered/selectable up to 2TB.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11