Can we talk about dreams about deceased people?

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I had my first dream about my sister since she passed away last night. The first part of my dream I see her but she vanishes...then the next part she is again in front of me. I had to hug her to make sure she didn't disappear...she was solid. I hugged her for a couple more minutes and we talked about stuff and how amazing she was still alive. I couldn't get over the fact she was alive again...i was so fucking happy. Last part of my dream she was staring at me...my Mom was with her.

I woke up and cried.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I mean, we could, but the only time it's happened with me is dreams about my ex... they are inevitably unpleasant. She's been gone over five years now, and still shows up time to time (we were together for twelve years, after all).

Reactions: Captante and Mayne

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I lost my best friend during senior year of high school. I still occasionally dream that he's alive.

Edited: That was over 20 years ago. I lost my dad about 4 years ago and while there are times I miss him and wish I could talk to him, I've never dreamt he was still alive. I think that's because I got to say goodbye to my dad while he was still alive but I never got that chance with my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante and Mayne

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Soon after my mum died a year ago I've had a few dreams in which she's an observer, a couple of those were lucid and I acknowledged her presence, hugged and cried.

Reactions: stargazr and Mayne

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Those dreams can be so odd. In one sense it almost feels like you got to see the person again, but on the other hand it sucks waking up and being reminded they're gone. Sorry you're going through a rough time.

I sometimes get dreams about my grandma who passed away a few years ago. They can be so odd and vivid. I always wake up a little sad.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
i'm not doing good if that is apparent.

I disagree ... pretty sure this is your subconscious mind coming to terms with the loss and dealing with the pain is healthy.

I've had dreams about friends/relatives that have passed too.

Hang in there! :)

Reactions: mikeymikec

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Man the fuck up

Fuck off with this prehistoric shit.

I disagree ... pretty sure this is your subconscious mind coming to terms with the loss and dealing with the pain is healthy.

I've had dreams about friends/relatives that have passed too.

Hang in there! :)

This. There are going to be times where you want to stop feeling so much and other times when you miss feeling that way. Memories will pop up unexpectedly. Try to make time to deal with it when those times happen. One thing I've tried to do sometimes if I want to change how I'm feeling the emotion is to think of a pleasant memory of that person (my mum died of cancer so it was tough not to think of her in those final weeks), it might still make you cry but IMO it helped.

Is there a family member you can talk to?

My mum died in Oct 2019 and I'm still dealing with it. My cat died a month later and oddly I think I've cried more for him than her, but then due to the events around my mum's death I had to cut ties with two toxic siblings, one of whom I'm fairly sure actually blames me for her death, like I could have done something to stop her from dying of cancer, and that fucks up the grieving process I think. It was the first time I had a family member die and I don't have a frame of reference.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My dad died in 2009 and I have had multiple dreams where he is still alive and I'm talking to him and everything is like old times.

Then typically as the dream progresses, I realize that I am in a dream and that I know he is dead and that it's just a dream, and then I don't want it to end. It's a very strange feeling to realize you are dreaming in a dream.

Those have typically ended with me crying in the dream about it and then I kind of transition into being awake and crying, and then once I'm fully awake and realize what happened it's a very strange feeling.

I wish it happened more often but it's probably happened like 5-6 times since he died.

Reactions: Captante

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Happens to me. Not sure what time period I'm at, but I know I'm younger as are the dead people I interact with.
Strange knowing that some of them already died. It's reallly sad, you remember your loved ones everyday and in dreams too.

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My dad died in 2009 and I have had multiple dreams where he is still alive and I'm talking to him and everything is like old times.

Then typically as the dream progresses, I realize that I am in a dream and that I know he is dead and that it's just a dream, and then I don't want it to end. It's a very strange feeling to realize you are dreaming in a dream.

Those have typically ended with me crying in the dream about it and then I kind of transition into being awake and crying, and then once I'm fully awake and realize what happened it's a very strange feeling.

I wish it happened more often but it's probably happened like 5-6 times since he died.

I got a dream like that about a coworker and it was weird. We were in the car, she was driving, we were going around buying stuff for a work BBQ and then I had the sudden realization that she died. So I'm like "this is going to sound crazy, but, in another dimension that I also exist in, you died a while back". Or something to that effect. I did not actually realize I was in a dream yet I knew I was somehow in another dimension, but did not quite understand it myself. My alarm happened to go off so I woke up. Even though it was just a dream it just felt so real, and I was legit mad that my alarm broke the dream because I'll never know what she would have said. Probably something along the lines of "what the hell have you been smoking?". lol.

Reactions: purbeast0

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I got a dream like that about a coworker and it was weird. We were in the car, she was driving, we were going around buying stuff for a work BBQ and then I had the sudden realization that she died. So I'm like "this is going to sound crazy, but, in another dimension that I also exist in, you died a while back". Or something to that effect. I did not actually realize I was in a dream yet I knew I was somehow in another dimension, but did not quite understand it myself. My alarm happened to go off so I woke up. Even though it was just a dream it just felt so real, and I was legit mad that my alarm broke the dream because I'll never know what she would have said. Probably something along the lines of "what the hell have you been smoking?". lol.

Pics of dream/work girl?