Can we see some 2-cpu motherboard fun again?

AuxPwrUsr

Jul 22, 2009
Years ago, Anandtech reviewed the Abit BP6. Not a great board, but it took advantage of the Intel Celeron's ability to go in tandem. It was inexpensive, too. I have one. Still works. Runs W2K offline every once in a while. It is almost 20 years later. Can we have something off the beaten path again?

How about a 2-socket Ryzen-Vega? Eight cores. Sixteen threads. Vega (ok, little vega) Crossfire. Quirks. Fun.
As affordable as eight-core CPU.

I don't know if the Ryzen-Vega combo can even do more than one socket. But, wow, if it did. . .

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ah, the old BP6. The motherboard that had me join this site all those years ago trying to get the stupid thing stable.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
None of the modern consumer processors can do multiple sockets, so it's not clear if this is a dreaming thread or if you're asking why you can't find any modern boards like the BP6.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Man, it was prolly 'cause I had an Abit board that I first visited this site (BH6 maybe?). They were killer back then........too bad they're gone

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just don't think there is a need for two CPUs on one board for 99.9999% of home users. Back then PCs were pretty much obsolete within 12 months of buying one, and Abit probably caught Intel off guard with their board (much like Asrock did with overclocking non-k CPUs / overclocking on non-Z chipset boards). Asrock ended up removing that ability very quickly after Intel found out.

Now it's pretty much the opposite. Quite a few people are using CPUs that are 8-10 years old. With modern multiple core CPUs, I just don't think there is a huge (or really any) consumer demand for a dual CPU motherboard. Would enthusiasts buy it for bragging rights? Probably, but we are such as small segment of the overall PC sales.

Plus, after the BP6 board, they probably have some type of language in their contracts that prevents motherboard manufacturers from doing that sort a thing again with consumer CPUs.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I just don't think there is a need for two CPUs on one board for 99.9999% of home users. Back then PCs were pretty much obsolete within 12 months of buying one, and Abit probably caught Intel off guard with their board (much like Asrock did with overclocking non-k CPUs / overclocking on non-Z chipset boards). Asrock ended up removing that ability very quickly after Intel found out.

Now it's pretty much the opposite. Quite a few people are using CPUs that are 8-10 years old. With modern multiple core CPUs, I just don't think there is a huge (or really any) consumer demand for a dual CPU motherboard. Would enthusiasts buy it for bragging rights? Probably, but we are such as small segment of the overall PC sales.

Plus, after the BP6 board, they probably have some type of language in their contracts that prevents motherboard manufacturers from doing that sort a thing again with consumer CPUs.
Anandtech also reviewed several dual cpu boards including the Abit VP6:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/816

and don't forget the AMD 760 MPX:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/862