• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Can USA bought Smart TV have USA region content work in another Country?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hi all,

I live in Belize now. I recently bought a Samsung 50 inch smart TV from Walmart USA and had it shipped to Belize by cargo ship. It arrived and I am in the process of clearing it from Customs and hopefully have it by this Friday in my house.

I want to sign up for Netflix and use other online apps that are USA specific region content. Like I said, I live in Belize, but the TV was bought from USA.

These are my questions........

1) Can I get USA specific apps and content like in Netflix since my TV is from USA?

2) If yes, when I am setting it up and I am asked for my region location. Should I lie and say my location is in USA? In other words, should I pretend I am living in USA when asked for my present location and such matters under setup?

I know about VPN's and how they are useful for people living in foreign Countries, but I was wondering if I still need to use a VPN considering my situation here.

What do you all think?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Pretty-much, all of the major content sources geo-locate your IP address, so you WILL likely need a VPN. Where you bought the TV from is practically irrelevant.

(*) Otherwise, there would be a heavy export demand for Roku boxes from the USA... not saying that there isn't, but I'm sure that they're coming with a heaping helping of VPNs too.

Use this information AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT ADVISING YOU TO VIOLATE CONTENT-LICENSING POLICIES.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
My question: even if you use VPN, won't Netflix find out that you use a credit card that's issued overseas?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
My question: even if you use VPN, won't Netflix find out that you use a credit card that's issued overseas?
Use Netflix gift cards?

Honestly I think Netflix doesn't really care. They do some bare minimum stuff to fulfill their obligation to the owners of the licensed content. That's all.

ASK THE COMMUNITY