Question Can the PC's location information be over-ridden?

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can the PC's system location be over-ridden? The PC's Zip Code system location is always referencing the ISP's Zip Code, not the PC's location.
For example: go to an online retailer web site (such as Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.), and unless manually corrected, that retailer "assumes" that you're located in a Zip Code associated with the ISP, and not the PC's actual physical Zip Code location. It would be convenient if one could make a registry edit to "always over-ride" the faulty information and instead use a specified Zip Code location.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I think for your purposes you would modify data in whatever browser you are using. The link below might have helpful information. The manual interventions start about halfway down the page.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The usual way I do this is create an account there and specify "my store" or however the specific site words it, then it remembers it if I'm logged in which I might as well be if I want to expedite shopping checkout.

I did not read ALL of the link crashtech provided but skimming over it, it looked more like a way to just hide your real location, not a way to change it to one that is more accurate unless you happened to live in the same zip code as a VPN server and knew this and used that service.

There is also, often a location notification feature in browsers that you might check and set to enabled, if it doesn't generate a popup asking you on a per-site basis.