Can someone tell me what kind of lens is used in these photographs?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I can't link directly to the image, but on the website the first image on the far left is a couple standing in the middle of a street at night. I'm curious as to how wide of a lens was used for that picture, same for the second picture as well.

I really like this guy's work, his poses are very creative and well composed. I'm working on building a portfolio and his work is really giving me inspiration. What do you guys think of his photos? Are you aware of any other photographers with high quality work?

http://www.nakaiphotography.com/best-chicago-wedding-photos/

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Looks like he used a flash behind the couple that he photoshopped out. This is because of the bright light behind them and shadows on the ground. Had to be a bright light behind them that is not part of the natural environment. Looks like he models his epic couples shots after Pye Jirsa from SLRLounge. Check out their website for all their tutorials on this.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
if i had to guess i'd say a nikon, probably FF body with 24-70mm f2.8

http://www.nakaiphotography.com/info/
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-nikkor-24-70mm-f2.8g-ed.html

a lot of professional/wedding photographers use fast (f2.8) zoom lenses such as the 16-50, 24-70, or maybe even 70-200, depending on the location

the forum mod fuzzybabybunny is pretty amazing at photography, though he's mostly doing real estate photography atm. He used to have a bunch of cool pictures on smugmug though.

Last edited:

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Looks like he used a flash behind the couple that he photoshopped out. This is because of the bright light behind them and shadows on the ground. Had to be a bright light behind them that is not part of the natural environment. Looks like he models his epic couples shots after Pye Jirsa from SLRLounge. Check out their website for all their tutorials on this.

There's definitely a flash behind them to create that halo effect. I do wonder if he did two shots. One exposing for the background and another one for the couple. If you look at the people on the sides none are really paying any attention to the shoot. I would think a dramatic shot like this would have at least a few of them looking towards the shot.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's definitely a flash behind them to create that halo effect. I do wonder if he did two shots. One exposing for the background and another one for the couple. If you look at the people on the sides none are really paying any attention to the shoot. I would think a dramatic shot like this would have at least a few of them looking towards the shot.

I think he did, i think this is two shots shopped together. Great looking photo for sure, he knows what hes doing.

ollo993

Mar 28, 2017
it's hard to say.... you may contact the poster about it... that will be the fastest way ...

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
$400 an hour to just answer a question about what lens he used or how he made a shot? I don't know why some people think they have some secret sauce. If anyone asks me any photography question, I answer it to the best of my ability for free! I've noticed most the big photographers are like this as well. The people who have made it usually realize they got where they are on more than just knowing what lens or strobe to use.