Can someone help me with laptop memory?

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
(I also posted this in the memory forum)

I just ordered a Toshiba Laptop for my daughter for Christmas. This is the laptop:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16834114529

There is a User Review (the most recent one) where the reviewer said:

"Pros: Put 3GB of DDR2 Ram in it and it sings and dances like the best of them!"

It comes with 2 GB of ram and I am assuming that means two 1 GB sticks.

1. Do you think he replaced one of them with a 2GB stick and left the other or did something else?

2. What should I buy?

Thanks

John

PS: Toshiba doesn't list this laptop on their website, but it takes DDR2 800.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: craftech
1. Do you think he replaced one of them with a 2GB stick and left the other or did something else?
2. What should I buy?

First - double posts are a no-no.

Second - Yes - to get 3 GB you replace 1 SODIMM and have 2+1.

Third: - Unless your daughter is a real power user with lots of video tasking, I would leave it be with the 2 GB. It is more than enough for most folks, including me. :)

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: corkyg
Originally posted by: craftech
2. What should I buy?

First - double posts are a no-no.

Second - Yes - to get 3 GB you replace 1 SODIMM and have 2+1.

Third: - Unless your daughter is a real power user with lots of video tasking, I would leave it be with the 2 GB. It is more than enough for most folks, including me. :)

OK then - no more double posts.

Perhaps you are right about the 2GB. The laptop is coming with Vista Home Premium pre-installed. I don't own a machine with Vista, only heard the negative stories. Thought she could use the extra ram for Vista. Perhaps I should wait and see how it goes first.

Thanks Corky - much appreciated.

John

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Also, might be a good idea to wipe the hard drive clean and re-install Vista to get rid of the bloatware.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
Also, might be a good idea to wipe the hard drive clean and re-install Vista to get rid of the bloatware.

On a new system, disagree! Especially on a laptop. You'll lose all the built-in drivers that are not always easy to find. One person's bloatware is another person's useful program.

My preference would be to wait and see - then uninstall those programs you don't need and follow that up with a Registry scrub.

You can always reinstall, but to do so willy-nilly at the outset to me is not wise, especially with a laptop.