Can someone help me get into the World of Warcraft.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
I have been watching the athene clips and have been quite ignorant of this game over the years because I am more of a WC2/3 fan and have been for the past 10 years. But after those clips he got me really excited to dedicate myself to this endeavor. What do I need to know to start pwning the noobs?

Is a 2600 rating impressive? Do I need an impressive PC? Can i setup my old box (geforce 2 2.6 ghz Celeron) to run WoW? What about internet connection. 2 m/b sufficient? Is this game ultra addicitive? I am not a fan of the Diablo series but never played it online. I don't like starcraft either.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
Your old box is probably a bit underpowered in the graphics area; however, if you are content on playing it at a fairly low resolution, it may work. WoW isn't a graphics intensive game like modern FPS games tend to be; however, the GF2 is REALLY old. You might want to check the min specs for the game with a quick google search. I never really played on older hardware than a Radeon 9800 (and even that card is quite a few years old). It ran the game fine as long as you weren't pushing terrain distance all the way out or pushing high resolutions (I later upgraded to a 6800GT which ran it with most settings at max (except for terrain distance) at a min of 30 fps at 1920x1080. As I said, the game doesn't demand that much, my ~5 year old PC in my sig runs it well... but a GF2 might have problems. Internet connection is important to some extent... you really just want/need a solid broadband connection to enjoy the game. It doesn't need to be uber fast... but it should be reliable/solid.

2600 arena rating is VERY impressive. Out of the 10 million players in wow... there are probably only a handful that will ever see a rating of 2600. That number is on the VERY high end of the bell curve.

The game is very addictive to some, and less addictive to others. It's an MMORPG... so the more time you spend working on your character(s)... the better they will be. There are plenty of people who play only casually for a few hours a week. There are others who play the game like it's a second job. I've done both, and definitely had more fun when I put a lot of time in. However, there is no way I can do that with my current schedule (so I sold my original account). I would recommend that you try the game out via the demo which will give you like 2 weeks of play to level a character (to a max of 20 IIRC). You can DL it from the blizzard site. If you want to get a 2600 arena rating... you have A LOT of gaming in your future... there is a lot to learn about the mechanics of the game, what classes can do what (and how to counter it), etc... before you can even think about being competitive. It's not a hard game to learn... but there is a lot of stuff to know... and you really only learn some of it it by trying (so lots of practice). Super fast twitch reflexes (a la FPS) aren't needed (however, you can't be a slouch for PvP).

Edit: Here is the WoW system requirements. The GF2 (32mb) card is the bottom of the barrel as far as what they recommend. Personally, as per my experience, I would want a little more horsepower graphically. The celery is probably fine (again it's been a while since I've looked at older hardware)... I'd say 1gb min ram (non vista) for an enjoyable experience (IMHO only).

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
You may have gotten me with this post lol... I just clicked on the link in your sig... I remember that guy... funny vid lol...

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I can be very addictive as I'm sure most people have read/heard. It's certainly not for everyone but after years of avoiding it, I finally started playing. If you're serious about playing you should definitely think about upgrading your PC or using a better PC. You don't need a Quad Core + 9800GTX or anything like that.

There is tons of information and WoW related sites out there if you want additional information. I visit http://www.worldofwar.net/forums/ quite a bit. Great group and very helpful. I would also recommend starting on a server where you know someone. It will make it much easier to get started.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Getting to 2600 rating without cheating is very hard. By cheating I mean buying/selling points to yourself. I will not say how to do this here because Im sure people will try it and want to boost their rating. There are other ones that can lag people out using a series of macros.

To get to 2600 without cheating you need:

rogue/druid
rogue/priest
warrior/druid
warlock/druid
warlock/priest

all s3 gear with 15 stam gems in every socket (400ish resilience).
You also need to be properly specced for pvp.
You and your teammate have to be very good.

it goes makeup > gear > skill until the higher brackets (assuming you have good gear) then its makeup > skill.

Mandin62

Mar 24, 2007
i know this will upset alot of people but... DONT DO IT!!!!

dont start. i have lost dear friends to WoW. It is really pretty sad. WoW is a good game but it is just to addicting for most people. I know if i played i would not stop. good luck if you do start.

Dota? that could be a fun alternative.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
thanks for the posts guys.

ATM I am beating every handheld zelda game out there.

while Minish Cap is extremely easy, Oracle of Seasons/Ages are extremely hard.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
You are joking, right? That guy is a loser

I played for a little under a year and made $40 profit (yes, that alreadyincludes cost of the game + expansion + months of fees) overall after selling my account. I had fun doing it, too. I might go back for the next expansion, but not sooner.

The game is most fun while leveling up. The endgame really sucks and is basically just a horrible grindfest, only for loot instead of xp. Some of the raid bosses are nifty, but they're few and far between (and having to get together 25-40 people just to see content seems a little excessive to me - Gruul is a shitty instance and isn't worth anyone's time, for example). In the end game you'll either be PvPing so you can get more loot or you'll be raiding so you can get more loot. In the end the game becomes nothing more than a graphical chat interface with some broken PvP and unnecessarily difficult raid encounters (I'm all for 5-man instances, but those raids are really just a big headache no matter how good of a group you have)

Dangerer

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeezee
You are joking, right? That guy is a loser

I played for a little under a year and made $40 profit (yes, that alreadyincludes cost of the game + expansion + months of fees) overall after selling my account. I had fun doing it, too. I might go back for the next expansion, but not sooner.

The game is most fun while leveling up. The endgame really sucks and is basically just a horrible grindfest, only for loot instead of xp. Some of the raid bosses are nifty, but they're few and far between (and having to get together 25-40 people just to see content seems a little excessive to me - Gruul is a shitty instance and isn't worth anyone's time, for example). In the end game you'll either be PvPing so you can get more loot or you'll be raiding so you can get more loot. In the end the game becomes nothing more than a graphical chat interface with some broken PvP and unnecessarily difficult raid encounters (I'm all for 5-man instances, but those raids are really just a big headache no matter how good of a group you have)

While WoW endgame isn't a game that can please EVERYONE, it's doing a fine job of pleasing many. All the people I know who play have at least 50 days of play time per character, 40 of which was spent after 70