Can Someone Help Me Figure Out Why Omega Drivers Won't install?

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
So I put together my new computer:

Asus Z97-Pro
Sapphire Vapor-x 290
Seasonic 1050W PSU
16GB DDR3

Anyway, everything went fine...things are running well. Installed all the drivers...or so I thought. I ran the windows experience index thing and got a very low score for the graphics. I thought perhaps I hadn't gone through the entire display driver install so I went and ran AMD's autodetect software, it downloaded 14-4 or something like that and I installed it. After this the problem was fixed.

Now I have gone back and tried to install the omega drivers like I did the first time and have found that no matter what I do they don't install anything of value. If I already have the drivers that work installed they only update some of the extra software and it says the display driver is up to date. If I uninstall everything with driver cleaners then they install all the extraneous software and control centers but leave out the display driver.

I thought perhaps it was due to this windows update issue I have read about so I tried unintalling that AND doing a clean install of windows and neither worked.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here and why it seems the Omega drivers do not detect my hardware correctly?

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
-First, make sure you downloaded the right version for your OS, there was a bug at first were the page wasn't downloading the correct one.

-Also, have you tried this way?

Click here to download the driver. (You can choose to use either our Driver Autodetect Tool or select your operating system version which will take you to the corresponding download page).

For instructions on how to uninstall or install the AMD Catalyst Software Suite, you may refer to the following support resources:

· How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System
· How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System

-Or, last option....try uninstalling the drivers with DDU.
Download and read instructions here:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

And then install the latest ones.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Man this really reminds me of the classic omega driver days. You had to do a clean uninstall/install to get them to work properly. Oh memories.

I miss my ATI Radeons :(

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
Man this really reminds me of the classic omega driver days. You had to do a clean uninstall/install to get them to work properly. Oh memories.

I miss my ATI Radeons :(

I don't know how your comment could apply to the OP.

PurdueRy, uninstall your drivers through the Add/remove programs. Make a complete express uninstall and then run DDU like Piotrsama mentionned. Newest version is 13.5.5.0 found here http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ .

For Direct Download Click HERE

Extract and execute "Display Driver Uninstaller.exe" . Then the application will prompt you to start in safe mode. Click yes.
160srdj.jpg

Then in safe mode execute those steps below.

2a8qn7r.jpg

Then after the restart, be sure to download and install the correct version of AMD catalyst Omega drivers which are the 14.12 WHQL.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-14-12-whql-omega-download.html

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Well...problem fixed...mostly root cause is me.

Anyway, I had tried all the suggestions posted here. So thank you for those and everyone that took the time to lend a suggestion. However, the root cause of the issue is I am running Windows 8 (stupid me). Apparently the latest Omega drivers are truly only compatible with Windows 8.1. Since I was doing a clean install I was still running windows 8 and the 8.1 update has to be done through the Windows "store" rather than the Windows update feature.

So here I thought I had done all the updates available because Windows update said so...but in reality I had a big ol' update still left to do.

Once I updated to 8.1 the Omega driver install correctly recognized that the display driver and such were not installed and installed them.

Thank you again everyone. Glad to have this issue behind me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, Windows 8 is unsupported by AMD. Microsoft too, I think. They want everyone on 8 to move to 8.1.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Yeah, Windows 8 is unsupported by AMD. Microsoft too, I think. They want everyone on 8 to move to 8.1.

Here's an idea for Microsoft...have Windows Update actually update people to 8.1 as opposed to having to go to the metro UI "store" and downloading it there...

nine9s

May 24, 2010
Could be a WIndows update:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2859...ken-update-that-wreaks-havoc-on-software.html

Microsoft has confirmed that the KB3004394 update it issued on December 10 can cause various problems. What's worse is that it may also prevent users from installing newer updates. The problems are reportedly limited to Windows 7 machines, and don't affect users running Windows 8 or newer.

Although Microsoft didn't specify all the problems users have been experiencing, AMD's Robert Hallock said the update can prevent the system from installing new graphics drivers—which is particularly troublesome as AMD's feature-stuffed new Catalyst Omega drivers launched the same day the borked Windows update rolled out

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Ugh, the 8 to 8.1 update is a pain sometimes. I forget what the trick is to get win8 installs to skip the updates and just download 8.1.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

And Microsoft always stops supporting versions without the latest service pack after a year, so that's not shocking. No real reasons not to update by this point though.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Could be a WIndows update:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2859...ken-update-that-wreaks-havoc-on-software.html

Microsoft has confirmed that the KB3004394 update it issued on December 10 can cause various problems. What's worse is that it may also prevent users from installing newer updates. The problems are reportedly limited to Windows 7 machines, and don't affect users running Windows 8 or newer.

Although Microsoft didn't specify all the problems users have been experiencing, AMD's Robert Hallock said the update can prevent the system from installing new graphics drivers—which is particularly troublesome as AMD's feature-stuffed new Catalyst Omega drivers launched the same day the borked Windows update rolled out

Three things:
1.) He has Windows 8
2.) That update was pulled hours later and a fixed version was sent out a while later.
3.) Older drivers installed just fine.