Can someone give me a lowdown on Ryzen?

fantasiarck

Jan 25, 2017
so i heard that amd is finally coming up with a new cpu that might be competitive with intel. i have looked around at some of the articles but theyre all too technical to me. can someone give me a eli5 on what ryzen is offering vs what intel offers? i know its all rumors right now but just like assuming all the rumors are true.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you want to assume the rumors are true it will be within 5-10% of broadwell.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Even more of that , but not Skylake levels BTW.

And hoping that the cost is according to expeeced in order to revive the competition.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Cautiously optimistic. Waiting for reviews on Ryzen before I commit to a new build this year.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Rumor is rumor, hype is hype. Wait just over a month and you will know the truth.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
So far as we know right now:

1. It's going to be cheaper than what Intel is offering for High End Desktop (HEDT) at the same performance.
2. It's going to perform as good as or better than Intel's HEDT offerings which is huge for AMD considering their last 10 years.
3. It's going to have less TDP (Power usage) than some of Intel's HEDT offerings, at 95 watts.
4. It's a System on a Chip so the Motherboard costs will be down compared to similar Intel offerings.
5. The AM4 socket is finally merging APU and CPU sockets into one, and should last at least 4 years if not longer.
6. It supports the latest and greatest connectivity PCI-E Gen 3, m.2 (Solid State Drive connectivity), USB 3.1 Gen 2.
7. Lots and Lots of Motherboards shown off at CES from all the usual vendors, including many small form factor offerings.
8. This is AMDs first Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT) architecture, so like Intel's Hyperthreading you get two threads for every physical core, and like Intel some SKUs will have this disabled to salvage defective dies.

Benchmarks of engineering samples show it at or beating Intel's $1100 6900K Broadwell-E which is a 8 core 16 thread HEDT CPU, so if AMD prices it's 8c/16t SKU at $500 or less they basically hit a homerun here.

Reactions: iamgenius

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I hope that it's going to be measurably better than what I currently have and not only in MT workloads because that's pretty much a give since it has 33% more cores but also in workloads bound by the performance of a single thread and not just better but noticeably better by that I mean at least 10%. What do you guys think are the chances of that happening? It won't make sense for me to upgrade if it's going to come up short of that.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Even more of that , but not Skylake levels BTW.

And hoping that the cost is according to expeeced in order to revive the competition.

Skylake is only <4% far away. They are less than 200MHz. And base clocks are going to be 400MHz more at least for Zen.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
It will be roughly the same as what we have available right now, but it should be a little cheaper.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

We had similar "performance equal to Intel's latest top model chips!" rumors when Bulldozer chips were about to release.

What we got was a processor that performed about as well as a Core i5 in most benchmarks, and could only keep up with the Core i7's in a few specific highly threaded workloads.

We can be pretty confident that it will be cheaper, anyway.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
That's being a bit generous to Bulldozer. There were a lot of benchmarks were it got trounced badly, and in some cases it was even beaten by AMD's own Phenom II chips. Add in the power draw (partially the fault of the 32 nm GloFo process used) and it was a pretty huge failure.

Reactions: Phynaz

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Noboby truly knows until benchmarks are leaked. BUT, my last system was an AMD 960T X4 cpu that ran great for 6 years before my new i5 that i had built. Looking to do an upgrade this year but in no hurry.

Just going to sit back and wait it out. Crossing my fingers that this iteration of AMD cpu's will finally allow me to switch back to team Red. Really want a 6-Core 12 threaded cpu as an upgrade though.

Reactions: richierich1212

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think that everyone is rooting for this new processor line to be awesome. It pretty much has to be for AMD to survive as an independant company, as they can't be profitable on just the revenue that they're getting from their video card and console businesses.

Past experience has taught us that it's a bad idea to buy into the pre-launch hype of any AMD product, though.

Reactions: Phynaz and Pilum

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Skylake is only <4% far away. They are less than 200MHz. And base clocks are going to be 400MHz more at least for Zen.
If they are on Skylake levels, AMD is the next build I follow. No brainer on that.

I think that everyone is rooting for this new processor line to be awesome. It pretty much has to be for AMD to survive as an independant company, as they can't be profitable on just the revenue that they're getting from their video card and console businesses.

Past experience has taught us that it's a bad idea to buy into the pre-launch hype of any AMD product, though.
Not only AMD, but also Intel, nVIDIA or any ARM devices... is better on their refresh or the 2nd production.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
We want it to be competitive, but like AMD GPUs there's the fear it will only be better for those with budget constraints who are willing to settle for significantly lower performance.

I don't expect a Titan X, but hopefully it will be better than the 480. Which is good . . . if you can't afford a 1070 or 1080.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013

I pray for AMD they can release them at £300 because if this is true I can get the 6800k used for £280, I know X99 boards are expensive but that would be worth it for the extra features.