Can someone explain Verizon's Triple Play deal?

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
One of the ads for this forum is Verizon's Bundle Deals.

On that page, it has the following:

Triple Play Starting at $94.99/mo.

Freedom Essentials and Broadband Internet plus either:

* Digital TV Service
* Verizon Wireless with ONE-BILL®

I have the Phone, FIOS (20/5), and FIOS TV. I also have the following added services:

Phone Options:
* International Choice Plan with City Rates - $4.00
* Direct Dial Screening & Operator Assisted Screening - $1.00
* Optional Protection Plans Inside Wire Maintenance - $3.99

FIOS TV Options:

* HBO - $15.99
* International Channel - $11.99
* SD 2500 Set Top Box - $4.99
* HD Home Media Set Top Box - $19.99
* Movies - $12.99

It also says that FIOS Internet is $49.99 and FIOS TV is $42.99.

For the bundle, they also mention this for Internet service: "Savings based on bundling of all services versus purchasing separately at standard rates. To receive bundled discount, you must retain Freedom Essentials and your choice of either Broadband Internet Service (up to either 3.0 Mbps Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet (up to 20 Mbps/5 Mbps) OR digital TV Entertainment (either DIRECTV service or Verizon FiOS TV)."

If that's the case, shouldn't my bill be $94.99 (Triple Play Starting Price) + Phone Options + FIOS TV Options + Taxes?

Right now, I'm being charged more than $220+ per month.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
20/5 isn't their lowest speed FIOS, is it? Don't they have 5/1? So that would affect the rate too.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Actually on their Triple Play page, it mentions that 20/5 FIOS Internet qualifies for the bundled savings.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Qacer
Actually on their Triple Play page, it mentions that 20/5 FIOS Internet qualifies for the bundled savings.

Of course it does, at an EXTRA cost.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I think that means it qualifies for the bundle savings, but not necessarily at the lowest bundle price.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

I think that means it qualifies for the bundle savings, but not necessarily at the lowest bundle price.

Probably so. It's a bit misleading because they mention:

Savings based on bundling of all services versus purchasing separately at standard rates. To receive bundled discount, you must retain Freedom Essentials and your choice of either Broadband Internet Service (up to either 3.0 Mbps Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet (up to 20 Mbps/5 Mbps) OR digital TV Entertainment (either DIRECTV service or Verizon FiOS TV).

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Indolent
this seems like it would be a question for Verizon?

I'd love to call them up and ask them, but lo and behold, Verizon billing is not open on weekends and is only open till 5PM on weekdays. I tried calling one during my lunch break and I was put on hold for a couple of minutes. I hate wasting my lunch time. ;-)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Savings based on bundling of all services versus purchasing separately at standard rates. To receive bundled discount, you must retain Freedom Essentials and your choice of either Broadband Internet Service (up to either 3.0 Mbps Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet (up to 20 Mbps/5 Mbps) OR digital TV Entertainment (either DIRECTV service or Verizon FiOS TV).

UP TO
Not misleading at all.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

UP TO
Not misleading at all.

Aha. Dammit.

JasonK

Jan 24, 2000
99 dollar bundle is for the minimum config on a tripple play. 5/2 , phone, and lowest 1 receiver, no extras tv.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JasonK
99 dollar bundle is for the minimum config on a tripple play. 5/2 , phone, and lowest 1 receiver, no extras tv.

No, it's not.

The FIOS Internet as part of the triple play is good for either DSL internet or the 20/5 package. It is NOT the 5/2 package.

As part of the TV package, they offer DirectTV or FIOS TV.

My guess is that they're offering the DSL/DirectTV as options to those who are not yet wired for the FIOS service to their homes. Only in the past few months has this been an option.

Also, on the Triple Play option, the offer has always been 15/2 or greater. Some areas still get the 15/2 as part of the package. Around here, it's 20/5.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07

UP TO
Not misleading at all.

If it doesn't include the 20/5 then it is misleading because I'm sure they call the speed on the 20/5 up to 20/5 and not 20/5.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Indolent
this seems like it would be a question for Verizon?

I'd love to call them up and ask them, but lo and behold, Verizon billing is not open on weekends and is only open till 5PM on weekdays. I tried calling one during my lunch break and I was put on hold for a couple of minutes. I hate wasting my lunch time. ;-)

Did you actually get the bundle or did you get all the services seperately?

Adding your premiums to the bill:

$99.99
Phone Options:
* International Choice Plan with City Rates - $4.00
* Direct Dial Screening & Operator Assisted Screening - $1.00
* Optional Protection Plans Inside Wire Maintenance - $3.99
-$8.99

FIOS TV Options:

* HBO - $15.99
* International Channel - $11.99
* SD 2500 Set Top Box - $4.99
* HD Home Media Set Top Box - $19.99
* Movies - $12.99
-$65.95

Gives you $174.94. With taxes, that can be a $200 bill.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I asked for the bundled deal. But they always give me the run around. I'll call them again this week.

orion23

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2003
$99 is for a 15mbps internet service, family cable and unlimited US calling plan.

There is a fee when installing more than 2 boxes.

There is a $6 fee for every box, monthly.

If you want premium channels, that is extra.

And the rates will go up after your 1 year contract, unless you decide to keep the $99 plan with a new 2 year contract.

I have cablevision with all premium channesl, hbo, cinemax, encore, starz, IO in spanish ($4.99) and playboy.
1 DVR box $14.99, + 5 other rental boxes, $6 each, a 30mbps Internet connection and unlimited phone service for $180 + tax (About $195 monthly)

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: orion23
$99 is for a 15mbps internet service, family cable and unlimited US calling plan.

There is a fee when installing more than 2 boxes.

There is a $6 fee for every box, monthly.

If you want premium channels, that is extra.

And the rates will go up after your 1 year contract, unless you decide to keep the $99 plan with a new 2 year contract.

I have cablevision with all premium channesl, hbo, cinemax, encore, starz, IO in spanish ($4.99) and playboy.
1 DVR box $14.99, + 5 other rental boxes, $6 each, a 30mbps Internet connection and unlimited phone service for $180 + tax (About $195 monthly)

The fee for Verizon is $4.99 for SD STBs.

For the 30mpbs service (Boost) through OO, it's an extra $9.99 per month. Their Triple Play (on Long Island) only comes with 15mbps.