Can someone explain these terms??

yasho2249

Apr 5, 2016
These are some filters use by pcpartpicker.com, in Motherboard category, which I don't understand at all. Can someone plz help me understanding these or maybe just share a video somewhere explaining this stuff

1. Chipset: the naming system for Intel Chipsets
2. Sli/crossfire
3. M.2 ports
4. Msata slots
5. On-board video
6. ECC

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
chipset is product segmentation by intel, the more expensive ones have more features, but for most people the cheapest will suffice.

sli/crossfire means you can run 2 or more nvidia/amd gpu's together for more fps
the m2 is a very small (physically, they can have lots of storage) ssd you can slide in a slot in the motherboard, fast too.
msata is something similar to m2 I think
onboard video is if it has hdmi or dvi or displayport or whatever connector to connnect a screen
ecc is optional for memory with xeon cpu's, error correction, not relevant for normal systems.

what do you want to do with your system?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
For my OCD Enthusiast compulsions, I wonder why I need a top-end desktop processor and at-least second-tier graphics. I guess it's because I'd "never know" even if the i3 or midrange card would be fine with my games and other things.

So that article and its parts-list is interesting.

If you build a lot of computers, it's always good to dabble in the budget range just to see what's there. I was trying to explain to a retired tech-engineer what I had done with NVMe and speed, and he said "Why not just get a C2D?"

He didn't say "i3," so I just have to assume he meant what he said. Maybe they still call i3 by the C2D label. Do they do that?