Can somebody clear up this verizon iphone 5 to t-mobile question

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013
I have heard / read all verizon IP5 units come factory unlocked but only certain ones can get t-mobiles 4g lte service but then ran the imei through a unlock site and it said once unlocked it will only work internationally ?

We do have the re-worked towers here so will any iphone 5 from verizon get t-mo 4G at least in improved areas and not lte ?

Thanks, I am supposed to meet up with this guy today to check it out but wanted to check here if I am wasting our time first.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have a tmo and vzw ip5. I will let you know in a couple of minutes. I have to swap sims.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Ok, I swapped sims and my vzw ip5 with a tmo sim only said 3g but I did speed tests and got 10mbs down and 6 up which is pretty damn good.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Ok, I swapped sims and my vzw ip5 with a tmo sim only said 3g but I did speed tests and got 10mbs down and 6 up which is pretty damn good.

I'm planning on trying out T-Mo in my area for the next 30 days with that Walmart plan. Hopefully, we have the coverage!

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
The Verizon iPhone 5 is both CDMA and gsm and cones unlocked.
You can use it for both T-Mobile and att and get 3g

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The Verizon iPhone 5 is both CDMA and gsm and cones unlocked.
You can use it for both T-Mobile and att and get 3g

But is 3G what they now call 4G? I never ever see 3G on my phone (HTC One), it's either 4G or 2G.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
BTW. VZN doesnt use Sim cards. You just change out the VZN lte card for a tmo Sim.

uh, that's a sim.

But is 3G what they now call 4G? I never ever see 3G on my phone (HTC One), it's either 4G or 2G.

tmobile has the following
lte - probably marked as 4G but no one's LTE implementation currently meets ITU-Advanced so none of it is actually 4G (kinda wondering what they'll call 4G when they actually get there). but it's fast because not many people are on it (verizon's is bogging down, apparently) and because tmobile has upgraded a lot of their backhaul for their hspa service. good connections could rival cable or vdsl service.
umts/hspa/hsdpa/hsdpa+ - marked as 4g but it's 3g tech with a good airlink speed (top end speeds matches most current lte implementations) and good backhaul (see above). typically will show higher pings than LTE because of the way the airlink works. can match adsl service for bandwidth but the ping isn't great.
edge - despite meeting ITU-2000's specification this is commonly referred to as 2g (it's not) because at&t didn't hit on the magic '3g' marketing moniker until they were rolling out their umts service.
grps - actual 2g radio. this may not actually be around anymore and if it is it is likely out in rural areas.

so, your phone is probably on 3G all the time.

if you're in a city tmobile's LTE is probably the best service because their fallback network is better than anyone else's.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
tmobile has the following
lte - probably marked as 4G but no one's LTE implementation currently meets ITU-Advanced so none of it is actually 4G (kinda wondering what they'll call 4G when they actually get there). but it's fast because not many people are on it (verizon's is bogging down, apparently) and because tmobile has upgraded a lot of their backhaul for their hspa service. good connections could rival cable or vdsl service.
umts/hspa/hsdpa/hsdpa+ - marked as 4g but it's 3g tech with a good airlink speed (top end speeds matches most current lte implementations) and good backhaul (see above). typically will show higher pings than LTE because of the way the airlink works. can match adsl service for bandwidth but the ping isn't great.
edge - despite meeting ITU-2000's specification this is commonly referred to as 2g (it's not) because at&t didn't hit on the magic '3g' marketing moniker until they were rolling out their umts service.
grps - actual 2g radio. this may not actually be around anymore and if it is it is likely out in rural areas.

so, your phone is probably on 3G all the time.

if you're in a city tmobile's LTE is probably the best service because their fallback network is better than anyone else's.

Yeah LTE and 4G (which is 3G in reality I guess) are two different things. I disable LTE so that's why I only get 4G.

But back to OP's point cause I'd like an answer to this as well. Does this mean that the Verizon iPhone 5 can make use of T-Mobile's 4G? NOT LTE, but 4G.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
T-mobile has their 3G+ which is HSPA+ but it ran only on 1700mhz until recently when they start refarming their 3G to 1900mhz.
I'm pretty sure Verizon 3G band only run at 850/1900 so your 3G on T-mobile is be very spotty at best.
You're not going to get the kind of speed that you will get from a t-mobile iphone 5 which runs on the 1700mhz band.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
FYI CDMA and GSM bands are not compatible

In 2010 ITU relabled "4G" to include HSPA+ , so for sake of progression, no argument here (start a new thread for that :p http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/)

For the Verizon iPhone 5
- CDMA and GSM accessible
- CDMA bands only for Verizon
- GSM portions unlocked
- GSM HSPA+ (3G/4G) bands include 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz.
--- AT&T uses 850MHz or 1900MHz for their 4G HSPA+
--- in regular markets, T-Mobile uses AWS 1700/2100 for 4G HSPA+
----- must have both 1700/2100, otherwise won't work at all
--- in re-farmed markets, T-Mobile is using 1900MHz (for 4G HSPA+), which will work with this phone
--- otherwise, you'd only get T-Mobile 2G

For the Verizon iPhone 5 LTE portion
Verizon uses LTE Band 13 (750MHz) for 4G LTE.
- this phone only has LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13
- AT&T and T-Mobile use Band 4 (1700/2100) for 4G LTE
--- yes, this overlaps with T-Mobile's AWS 1700/2100 4G HSPA+
- AT&T also uses LTE Band 18 (700MHz) for 4G LTE
- therefore you'd only get LTE (Band 13) if you used Verizon's network
- or have Verizon unlock the LTE portion (Bands 1,3,5) for international use (certain carriers in Europe/Asia will use Bands 1/3/5)

Feel free to make corrections as you see fit?

Last edited:

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008

In 2010 ITU relabled "4G" to include HSPA+ , so for sake of progression, no argument here (start a new thread for that :p http://www.intomobile.com/2010/12/18/itu-reverses-its-decision-lte-wimax-and-hspa-are-now-4g/)

For the Verizon iPhone 5
- GSM portions unlocked
--- in re-farmed markets, T-Mobile is using 1900MHz (for 4G HSPA+), which will work with this phone

- or have Verizon unlock the LTE portion (Bands 1,3,5) for international use (certain carriers in Europe/Asia will use Bands 1/3/5)

+1
Great break down of it

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011

For the Verizon iPhone 5
- GSM portions unlocked

Pretty much what I've been saying...but in a more specific way.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I have heard / read all verizon IP5 units come factory unlocked but only certain ones can get t-mobiles 4g lte service but then ran the imei through a unlock site and it said once unlocked it will only work internationally ?

We do have the re-worked towers here so will any iphone 5 from verizon get t-mo 4G at least in improved areas and not lte ?

Thanks, I am supposed to meet up with this guy today to check it out but wanted to check here if I am wasting our time first.

You are correct in that you will get HSPA+ in the refarmed areas. However, it is generally spotty.

Also, the refarmed markets will be the ones that are upgraded to LTE before others.

If you'd like my opinion, if you're in the market to purchase a used iPhone 5, meaning that you don't already have one, for use on TMobile, I would avoid the Verizon version unless it was a REALLY, REALLY good deal. Like < $350. Honetsly, I'd pull out for the new model iPhone 5 which adds 1700mhz HSPA support. On TMobile, it really is the way to go right now, but more expensive. At this point, I'd REALLY consider waiting for the iPhone 5S. Even if you don't really want it, iPhone 5 used prices will come down significantly in about two months. Unless you simply need it immediately, of course.

For the Verizon iPhone 5
- GSM portions unlocked

This looks way too complicated for OP. Here's how I would describe it.

TMobile uses 1700/2100mhz for HSPA and LTE in all of it's service area for 4G. Coverage is being refarmed to support HSPA on 1900mhz.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM use, but only supports 850, 900, 1900 and 2100mhz. This means you'll only get coverage on the 1900mhz frequency in areas that TMobile has refarmed (which OP is aware of and notes. airportal.de confirms that St. Paul market is being refarmed).

It does not support LTE on band 4, which is the AWS (1700/2100) band. That means you will NEVER get LTE on TMobile with a Verizon iPhone 5.

The old AT&T version is in much the same boat. It will only get HSPA on the 1900mhz refarmed markets. It does, however, support LTE on band 4, meaning it is completely capable of working on TMobile's LTE network.

The new AT&T/TMobile version simply adds 1700mhz support for HSPA, meaning it will work perfectly on TMobile's network wherever you are.

Last edited:

Ricky Spanish

May 20, 2013

For the Verizon iPhone 5
- GSM portions unlocked

Wow, thanks for that and yeah it's a pretty good deal as I am trading a ipad mini for it so I figure even if it is only the 3-4g here in st.paul as we have the re-framed towers here I can always sell it for more than I could the mini.

Going to do the swap today sometime.

Thanks everybody.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I'm in NYC and work in CT. Refarmed areas, i get decent 3g, once i hit the highway and drive to work, its back to 2g for a long time before I hit 3g again. This is on iphone 4s, I just switch my iphone 5 to the newer version with tmobile aws band. just need to cut my card and see how it works.

I am on the 30 dollar 100 min / 5gb 4g plan VOIP out everything :)

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
You are correct in that you will get HSPA+ in the refarmed areas. However, it is generally spotty.

Also, the refarmed markets will be the ones that are upgraded to LTE before others.

If you'd like my opinion, if you're in the market to purchase a used iPhone 5, meaning that you don't already have one, for use on TMobile, I would avoid the Verizon version unless it was a REALLY, REALLY good deal. Like < $350. Honetsly, I'd pull out for the new model iPhone 5 which adds 1700mhz HSPA support. On TMobile, it really is the way to go right now, but more expensive. At this point, I'd REALLY consider waiting for the iPhone 5S. Even if you don't really want it, iPhone 5 used prices will come down significantly in about two months. Unless you simply need it immediately, of course.

This looks way too complicated for OP. Here's how I would describe it.

TMobile uses 1700/2100mhz for HSPA and LTE in all of it's service area for 4G. Coverage is being refarmed to support HSPA on 1900mhz.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM use, but only supports 850, 900, 1900 and 2100mhz. This means you'll only get coverage on the 1900mhz frequency in areas that TMobile has refarmed (which OP is aware of and notes. airportal.de confirms that St. Paul market is being refarmed).

It does not support LTE on band 4, which is the AWS (1700/2100) band. That means you will NEVER get LTE on TMobile with a Verizon iPhone 5.

The old AT&T version is in much the same boat. It will only get HSPA on the 1900mhz refarmed markets. It does, however, support LTE on band 4, meaning it is completely capable of working on TMobile's LTE network.

The new AT&T/TMobile version simply adds 1700mhz support for HSPA, meaning it will work perfectly on TMobile's network wherever you are.

Haha yeah, the post started out simpler, but I was compelled to add more detail... sometimes people ask, "Why? Why exactly does the LTE chip in the phone work with Verizon and not T-Mobile/AT&T/etc..."

You figure if the VZW iPhone 5 had LTE Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, then one of those would have worked with AT&T or T-Mobile, but nope...

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000

T-Mobile calls their 3G system "4G," even though it's not. But it is an advanced form of 3G that provides speed similar to early 4G systems. (AT&T does the same thing now.)

On AT&T and T-Mobile branded phones, 3G shows as "4G," and 4G shows as "LTE" or "4G-LTE."

Blame their marketing departments.