Can somebodies eyes change color?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
This guy I work with was telling me a story, about how he went to this other coworker's of ours house. This other coworker we all think is kind of strange and stuff. Anyways, at one point during their visit, the strange coworker apparently went into a room, and then came out, and while talking to my coworker friend, his eyes changed from brown to blue. Is that even possible?

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010
Mine do change, not that quickly, but they do blue, gray, green and sometimes hazel.

Did he see them change, or did they change while he was out of the room? I wonder if he could have put in colored contacts or even used some kind of drop to cause it.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Anyways, at one point during their visit, the strange coworker apparently went into a room, and then came out, and while talking to my coworker friend, his eyes changed from brown to blue.
coloured contact lenses.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Yes. If you stab them out they go from red to purple to black to green then back to black.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
This guy I work with was telling me a story, about how he went to this other coworker's of ours house. This other coworker we all think is kind of strange and stuff. Anyways, at one point during their visit, the strange coworker apparently went into a room, and then came out, and while talking to my coworker friend, his eyes changed from brown to blue. Is that even possible?

Yes, you can certainly change or lighten eye color (over time) with a diet packed with antioxidants such as glutathione and macular pigments or xanthophylls such as astaxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein and other fat soluble carotenoids. I have strong doubts that the process could occur overnight, as the eye has a strong protective barrier from rapid entrance.

You might find the below video very interesting, not that I agree 100% with the vegan lifestyle, but definitely agree with getting a good percentage of calories from vegetables and fruits.

How My Eyes Changed Color Eating FullyRaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPU4fCfyzc

Dec 10, 2005
Yes, you can certainly change or lighten eye color (over time) with a diet packed with antioxidants such as glutathione and macular pigments or xanthophylls such as astaxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein and other fat soluble carotenoids. I have strong doubts that the process could occur overnight, as the eye has a strong protective barrier from rapid entrance.

You might find the below video very interesting, not that I agree 100% with the vegan lifestyle, but definitely agree with getting a good percentage of calories from vegetables and fruits.

How My Eyes Changed Color Eating FullyRaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPU4fCfyzc

That sounds like a big steaming pile of bullshit.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
That sounds like a big steaming pile of bullshit.

No offense, but maybe you just aren't intellectually curious and don't understand how carotenoids function; they are used in melanin production. Astaxanthin can indeed also pass the BBB and stain brain tissue pink, of which the eye is an extension. In fact, doctors can also now scan human skin to immediately identify carotenoid consumption.

Not only is glutathione capable of lightening eye color, but also skin color through melanin content. This is very commonly known by Asian women. Also hormonal composition can change iris color. And yeah, heavy free radical damage can do the opposite and darken eye coloration.

There are also cases of heterochromia, where one iris is drastically altered in coloration.

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
don't most babies eye color change ?

anyway i do beleive over time they do change.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't contest the science behind it, but the video looks like bullshit.

I started watching, then skipped a piece and the sentence I heard was "when you think of all the toxins", at that point I closed the video as we are threading in the dead wellness warrior terrain from there.

Dec 10, 2005
I don't contest the science behind it, but the video looks like bullshit.

I started watching, then skipped a piece and the sentence I heard was "when you think of all the toxins", at that point I closed the video as we are threading in the dead wellness warrior terrain from there.

This. I don't doubt that eye color can change due to certain conditions, eg: heterochromia, disease.... but the "supplement du jour" sounds like pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
No, they can't.

I've heard this off and on from various people over the years. It is nonsense.

Asked my dad about it, who is a Neuro Ophthalmologist and Professor of Neurology.
He laughed.

People are gullible.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
No, they can't.

I've heard this off and on from various people over the years. It is nonsense.

Asked my dad about it, who is a Neuro Ophthalmologist and Professor of Neurology.
He laughed.

People are gullible.

He probably also calls bs on acetyl l-carnitine and methylsulfonylmethane eyedrops as cataract preventatives or taurine to prevent a detached retina. At least, I've known several ophthalmologist who have made those ignorant statements. Most doctors know absolute shit about nutrition. You aren't what you eat or consume.

Yeah he's laughing all the way to the bank. lol

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
They didn't change in the room, after he came out of the room, they changed colors.

My friend thinks he smoked crack in the room?

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
My step son's eyes changed from when he was a baby. When he was small his eyes were a really intense cobalt blue. Hes 11 now and they are a brownish hazel color.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Change in lighting or blood prssure, I can't think of anything else that would cause a sudden eye color change.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
He probably also calls bs on acetyl l-carnitine and methylsulfonylmethane eyedrops as cataract preventatives or taurine to prevent a detached retina. At least, I've known several ophthalmologist who have made those ignorant statements. Most doctors know absolute shit about nutrition. You aren't what you eat or consume.

Yeah he's laughing all the way to the bank. lol

Yes, sadly, his M.D. is only from UCSF. Not Wikipedia State. :(

Mixolydian said:
Yes.

I have a friend who has green eyes. When he gets really angry, they turn blue.

No, they don't. As has been stated, this is simply biologically not possible.

What you're witnessing is almost certainly the dilation of the pupil, which when contracted or expanded (as when angry), can have the effect from an observer's point of view of changing the hue, shade, or intensity of the color of the iris. Lighting, angles, even clothing the person is wearing also affects the perception of eye color change, but the notion your iris changes color with mood or any other condition is nonsense.

University of California Santa Barbara said:
Q: Why does my eye color change hourly? P.S. I am not joking.
A:The quick answer is that yours eyes don't change, but the way we see your eyes does. I said it was quick, not quick to understand. Here's what's happening. When we see something, we are really seeing light that comes from some source (a lamp, the sun, etc.) then bounces off an object and into our own eyes. There are some great tutorials on light and color at:
lightandcolor.
Just click on a topic and an animation will be activated.

The angle we observe an object from can change the apparent color of an object. Take a glossy photograph or magazine picture and look at it from various angles. The picture doesn't change, but the way we see it does. So does the light source. Look at the ocean on different days and from different angles (on the beach, from the pier, from the hills) and you will see a similar effect.

When different amounts and types of light (fluorescent, sunlight, etc.) hit your eyes from different angles, or we look at your eyes from different angles, they will seem to be different colors. When your pupil (the hole in the middle of your eye) is more dilated (open) or constricted (closed), the color will also seem to change. Imagine you stretch a balloon out; the color will lighten as the material stretches. Dilation or constriction of your pupil will also change light angles.

Your eyes may seem to change more than your friends' eyes do if you have different pigments (colors) in your iris (the colored part of your eye).

By the time you understand why the color of your eyes seems to change, you will have learned a lot about both color and how yours eyes work

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=916

Wall Street Journal said:
Settle Down
Eye color doesn't really change, Dr. Schwab says. Most Caucasians are born with light eyes, but the pigment tends to settle by about a year, says Dr. Schwab. "Some studies suggest that eye color can change a tad with age, but for most people, eye color is fixed after the first year of life," Dr. Schwab says.

There are exceptions, such as during puberty or pregnancy, when pigments might darken slightly. Bloodshot eyes or what color shirt you're wearing may make your eyes appear to change color.

---

When a person looks into someone's eyes, he is influenced by the colors around it. Dr. Schwab's eyes are green, for example, which means he has some pigmentation but not a whole lot. He'll often wear yellow or green, which can amplify the scattered light reflecting back. "If I wear a shirt that is complementary, my eyes may appear to be a different color, but the wavelength is the same," says Dr. Schwab.

The Emotion Factor
No matter how many YouTube videos suggest otherwise, a human iris doesn't change color with emotion. When a person's eyes have red, dilated blood vessels from anger, his eyes may appear to be greener because of the contrast, Dr. Schwab explains. When pupils become dilated during moments of grief or extreme happiness, "the eye may seem a little darker because the pupil is so black," he says.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304788404579520172296723850