Can real civil discourse and good governance exist in our current 2-party paradigm?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Can real civil discourse and good governance exist in our current 2-party paradigm?

• Yes

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think they are trying to blame it on Pelosi because they literally have nothing else. While yes I agree it's a ridiculous idea to say 'it's Nancy Pelosi's fault for not fortifying the Capitol sufficiently against a violent mob of our supporters we incited', what else are they supposed to say?
Maybe, “We we’re fucking scum and we are sorry.”?

But I do think they have carried the altered reality thingi where the ice is thinning and showing cracks.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Right, so is the idea that nothing can be done to make Republicans more reasonable and therefore civil discourse and good governance are now impossible? If so, and this is a genuine question, why isn't the logical answer to strike now while we control the machinery of government and destroy them before it's too late? Please note I don't advocate this in any way, because I think there is a chance of making things better.

I think when people say it's impossible it's mostly out of frustration because Republicans are so committed to tribalism and insanity, but I don't think it's impossible, and I don't think we should give up.
I do think our best hope is to strike now (from a legislative perspective). If we don't get voting legislation passed to prevent republicans from suppressing votes and gerrymandering the map, I think our democracy might end up past the point of no return. I think the only way to get back to the point of reasonable republicans is to prevent them from being able to win without getting the majority of the votes.

Last edited: