Can RAM suddenly go bad?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I bought a 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 kit over 5 years ago. A few days ago I went into the BIOS to disable the onboard Bluetooth controller and noticed that the BIOS showed only 28 GB of the 32 GB of RAM was being detected. Also under SPD info in the BIOS it showed one of the DIMMS in a particular slot with an Abnormal status. This made it easier to pinpoint which stick was bad. It was not a bad DIMM slot because I switched stick to different DIMM slots and the Abnormal in the BIOS also followed along with the bad stick to the different slot. Memtest86 showed several errors just on that stick within a minute. This could explain also why X-Plane 11 would error out and exit back to the desktop on me while loading up the game a couple of times just recently. Now what could have caused that stick to go bad over 5 years later? It can't be age or wear and tear as there are no moving parts in a DIMM? I don't overvolt the memory. Another strange thing is that when I reinserted the DIMMS into the slots, the full memory was recognized by the BIOS without any Abnormal status but about an hour later I check the BIOS again and the memory went down to 28GB again and the Abnormal status of the bad stick appeared again.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Anything can suddenly go bad, and that's how it happens most of the time with electronics.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I decided to RMA the bad stick for store credit at FMV to Crucial since they don't have that product in production anymore or something better for my motherboard (P9X79 Pro) and the only RAM they currently have for my motherboard is inferior RAM (higher latencies) than the one I have now so I was told. I don't want my RAM replaced with inferior RAM especially since I paid for lower latency RAM in the first place. I still want to use my system even with just 24 GB in triple channel mode and I'm upgrading in the near future to a new platform anyways. Should I have RMA'd all 4 sticks and get it replaced with the inferior RAM? I did not ship the bad stick to Crucial yet.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Unless you absolutely need that extra 8GB, stick with the 3 DIMMs for now until you perform your full platform upgrade.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
do you need a invoice and original packaging? seems like OCZ ddr 500 i had went bad and they refused to honor warranty.

Original packaging...yes:

Ship the product in question to Micron CPG in its original packaging and enveloped in the original antistatic bags (product to be shipped at your expense). Micron CPG will not be responsible for damaged parts if you don’t follow this process. Please retain shipping information, including tracking numbers, until your account has been credited by Micron CPG or replacement product is received. If Micron CPG determines that failure of the product was not a result of a defect in materials or workmanship, Micron CPG reserves the right to charge you either (1) for parts and labor at Micron CPG’s then-current labor rate or (2) a 20% restocking fee. Micron CPG will advise you prior to assessing these charges. Any product returned to Micron CPG shall become the property of Micron CPG. Returned products must be shipped prepaid and packaged appropriately (at your expense), and it is recommended that they be insured or sent by a method that provides for tracking of the package. Micron CPG is not responsible for any product that is lost or damaged in transit.

invoice...I'm sure you do, otherwise, how would you prove where it was purchased? (warranty only applies to original purchaser, from authorized reseller or Crucial.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You need "original packaging" for RAM to RMA? WTF? Seriously? I've tossed most of my RAM boxes. Sigh. Not like I RMA a lot of stuff anyways, generally it works out OK for me if it's new.