Can ping IP address but can't browse web

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,

I have a TP-Link TL-MR3020 portable Wifeless N router that I've configured to take a WiFi signal and converts it to a LAN. This works great, except I can only connect it to a single PC.

So I thought of using a TL-WR841HP Wireless N router that I have lying around. I connect the TL-WR841HP's WAN port to the MR3030's RJ45 jack, and then I connect PC1 and PC2's RJ45 port to the TL-WR841HP's LAN ports 1 and 2.

My PC is able to ping IP address such as 8.8.8.8, but isn't able to ping www. google.com nor browse the web. This leads me to believe it's a DNS issue, but how do I configure the DNS server on the TL-WR841HP?

Thanks!

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Actually you want to use one of the LAN ports on the TL-WR841HP to hook into a LAN port on the MR3030 unless there's a setting that I'm missing that allows the WAN port to act as a LAN port. It has to do with how the router handles traffic over the WAN port as opposed to the LAN ports. Also make sure that you have the DHCP server disabled on the WR841HP as that will also cause issues.