Can people really sleep through a loud buzzing alarm?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
This morning, I wake up on one of my friend's couches to find an alarm going off in one of the neighboring rooms. It keeps me up for about an hour until my friend comes out and, at this point, I just decide to head home since I'm up anyway (I crashed last night because I was too tired to get to my place).

Anyway, I mention to my friend that perhaps she might want to turn the alarm off since her roommate's forgot to shut it off before they left, and she responds with: Oh, they are still in there!

:confused:

How can anyone sleep through a loud, buzzing alarm, for well over an hour, without hitting it off? And how can TWO people do this? It woke me up instantly, and it was in the next room with the door closed and a fan in the room.

When I was in Korea I slept through the U-2 spy plane taking off. I doubt that a tornado would even wake me up. I'm a very heavy sleeper. I had to get an alarm clock with an extra loud buzzer just to get up. Most alarm clocks will not work on me.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I have the same problem. So did pretty much all of my roommates in college. We just don't like waking up.

Flyback

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2006
I have two alarm clocks go off in separate rooms of my house in sequence and scheduled a repeat task on my computer to play Pink Floyd through the speakers within 30 minutes of the alarm clocks if I snooze more.

The alarms aren't always enough. I'd use the Floyd as the primary, but it's loud enough I don't want to wake neighbours.

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Using Pink Floyd to get you up? I'd figure that would put you back to sleep.

(I love Pink Floyd btw, i'm not bashing them :p)

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Newfie

Did it occur to you that he may play Pink Floyd because it's so god awful he has no choice but to wake up and turn it off? :p

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
one of my old roommates used to sleep through his loud as hell alarm like every morning... he'd spend like an hour and a half just hitting the snooze button every 10 minutes.

I'd do my best to sleep through it, but sometimes I'd get up and yell at him.

I mean, it's like shit or get off the pot. either go to class and get the hell out of bed or skip and turn off the damn alarm clock, just make a GD decision to I can catch some more zzz's.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I got in trouble a bunch when I was in the air force because of such sleep habits. Good thing I wasn't in the army or marines.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I've slept through the firealarm in this building before. It's so loud it's physically painful to be inside.

I'f I'm tired enough you could probably remove my kidney without using anesthetic and without me waking up.

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
I am a heavy sleeper as well, alarms do nothing for me. On the contrary my friend cant sleep in a room with a regular pulse clock, he has to take out the batteries to sleep.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Xanis
Originally posted by: Anubis
yes, in college my roomate and i got in big trouble because we slept through the dorms FIRE ALARM, wernt drunk or any of that, were just asleep

Uhh that's probably not good at all...

I've done it. My roommate had to shake me awake when the firm alarm went off.

When living in the dorm, you pretty much train yourself to ignore anything that isn't your alarm while sleeping. The fire alarm is included in that ignore list.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
My wife gets up at a different time than I do. I'm conditioned to sleep through the pitch of the buzzer that's set for her. Unusual sounds wake me up almost immediately. (Or, at least, a lot of the time when I wake up at an odd hour, I can trace it to some unusual sound. No guarantees that I always hear the unusual sounds, since I'm asleep and wouldn't know if I didn't wake up.) I'm also "trained" to wake up to certain other sounds, like guinea hens squawking, or one of our goats in distress over something. (The goats aren't in the house)

MegaVovaN

Diamond Member
May 20, 2005
Originally posted by: jw0ollard

I've also had alarm clocks + my roommate violently shaking me = FAILURE, also.

Got Utube vid of this? Cuz ur roomie is probably slacking off and didn't shake you

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: jw0ollard
Originally posted by: Newfie

Did it occur to you that he may play Pink Floyd because it's so god awful he has no choice but to wake up and turn it off? :p

What! People not agreeing with Pink Floyd!?!?! Preposterous!!