can open VPN on PIA be run without admin rights and kill all connections other thanit

Onceler

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I want to use OpenVPN on someone's laptop that does not have admin rights. The PIA client requires that you have admin rights which is fine for setting things up but I want it to be able to run under a non admin account and start with windows and make sure all the traffic goes through it.
Thanks

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I don't think it can be done. OpenVPN requires a TAP driver to be installed. Therefore you need an Admin account.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
About the only way to do what the OP wants is have a linux boot CD/pen drive and have the VPN setup that way, or have that machine go to another machine where you do have admin access on, or, you can even have a router that has VPN support, and do it that way.
Otherwise, you do need an admin account on the local machine to be able to use a VPN as John said.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
No you won't be able to do it with OpenVPN as some of the required commands that it has to run to set up the connection need admin privileges in Windows.

I believe you can set up a L2TP/IPSec tunnel without admin rights and without even having to install anything.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
About the only way to do what the OP wants is have a linux boot CD/pen drive and have the VPN setup that way, or have that machine go to another machine where you do have admin access on, or, you can even have a router that has VPN support, and do it that way.
Otherwise, you do need an admin account on the local machine to be able to use a VPN as John said.

Yes this was my immediate thought too; put a portable operating system on a flash drive and configure the VPN on that. Rinse, reboot.