Can nvlddmkm stop responding and has successfully recovered can be caused by memory?

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Hi. Last time i was had crashing in Far Cry 4. Driver stopped responding and has recovered. I was thinking that my GPU is unstable. But i run memtest and my memory throwed 34 errors after 5 minutes. So i swapped to Kingston Hyperx 8gb and memtest passed without errors. I try too Far Cry 4 , and no more TDR crashes ( Driver stopped responding and has recovered ). So i have a question.

Can nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered can be caused by faulty memory or its only gpu related?

Gpu is Asus Strix 980 and new memory Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz 2x4gb

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I don't see why not; a graphics card rendering a 3D game will likely be needing to have transferred a lot of data from RAM, and intermittently iffy RAM will give intermittently incorrect results. At some point the graphics card driver is going to give the WTF signal.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
System RAM is involved in virtually everything that you see on your computer's screen. For example, your video card is drawing the graphics, but your Nvidia driver is still required for the card to respond to requests. So yes, you have found what is causing your error.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Is this a serious question?

Unstable memory has always been the sole reason for TSR (terminate and stay resident) programs crashing. This was/used to be very well known.

Random video driver crashing is probably most often caused my unstable or bad memory and/or overclocks. This is also a major cause in random game crashes, application crashes, background app crashes, foreground app crashing, windows crashing, event errors, corrupted data, damaged downloads and files, etc....

Since computers have been built around this dirty secret that bits appear and drop out randomly, you might not ever know that you have memory issues at all. From the deep in the HW level to SW and the OS, computing has been built around the dirty fact.

Having bad ram or an unstable memory setup will result in system instability. Your resulting experience is depending on how severe the errors are. It ranges from complete failure of windows booting to simple event notifications. There is a vast middle ground ranging from data corruption on your stored files and downloads to TSR, apps, or in your case video driver crashes. Windows and your PC will do all it can to try to remain stable but having ram issues is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

litwicki22

Sep 13, 2012
Thank you guys for replies and help. :) I am very greatful. I asked because i want just to be sure. Thx now all is clear. Sorry for my bad language. Cheers from Poland.