can my ZM6 run a coppermine or Cel2

ditchy

Aug 2, 2000
I was wondering if the Abit ZM6 can run a cel2 or coppermine. If not in stock form what is required to get it up and running. I have seen at least two articles that say it works and I think the same amount that says it doesn't. I am confused to say the least?
Thanks
Glen Ditchburn

ditchy

Aug 2, 2000
The ports are definitely color coded. Does that really mean something? I'm afraid to buy a CPU and it doesn't work. What should I do?

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I had a ZM6 so I can speak to this. It will run a Celeron 2 as long as it has been flashed to the latest bios. It will not run a Coppermine unless you use a Neo-S370 adapter, (I have one by the way if you are interested).
Regards, Skitzer.

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Skitzer - Did you try the ZM6 and the C2 before you upgraded the bios?

Ditchy - Your confusion results from the Celeron 2 and Pentium 3 are both "coppermines", but the C2 will run on your board without an adapter, and the Pentium needs a Neo-S370 adapter. Why this is true nobody knows for sure. Same is also true with Abit BM6.

MoneyMINTR

Oct 23, 1999
Just get the Celeron II... I have that in my BM6. It's sweet and it was so easy. Just flash the BIOS and you're done. No adapters whatsoever. Cheapest upgrade ever.

-MM

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Has anyone tried a Celeron 2 533, 566 or 600 in a BM6 without a bios update? I have original BM6 bios and it seems that everyone who puts a C2 in one of these updates the bios, but no one says it will not work with any bios but the latest. I would like to keep the voltage range I have on my BM6 of 1.3 to 2.3 and the latest bios upper limit is 1.7. Multipliers are autodetected so I see no reason why a C2 would not work with the original bios. Anyone try this?

ditchy

Aug 2, 2000
I think I will stick to a Cel2 for an upgrade. When I really need something faster than that I'll upgrade the m/b too. Thanks for the input everyone. Any suggestions which speed I should get or overclocking suggestions?