Can my company see my gmail?

Discussion in 'Security' started by madh83, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z Lifer

*shrug*, I won't disagree or agree. We both know you get what you pay for, and corporate world is being moved offshore. IMXP, offshore admins are clueless.

2. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

my company can see my gmail right now:eek:

i left my phone in the work van. luckily, i use gv for texting, so i was able to get home and erase all my texts. hopefully they disappear on my phone before the boss potentially reads them :(

its not like anything on there would get me fired, but i have a pretty good impression going at this place and i wouldn't mind keeping that for awhile longer. emails ill leave... all they will get from those is the confirmation that i buy a lot of crap from a lot of tech related stores :D in all honesty though, i work for good people and the chance they try to read anything on the phone is very low. they dont pay for it and they are respectful people.

3. ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z Lifer

wirednuts, no screen autolock with password unlock?

4. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

i usually do. but i have been waiting to root this phone and get everything working before i set passwords and such... rooting an htc senstation is a biatch, and so it made me too lazy to get it done.

boss emailed me saying the phone will be on my desk.

5. Paperlantern

Paperlantern Platinum Member

Yeah, every phone ive had for the last 4 years (all smartphones) have had passcode lock. Cant stand the thought of not having that lock. Phones can go poof too easy.

6. SagaLore

SagaLore Elite Member

No, they can't see the content of your email over the network because everything from authentication to sending and reading emails is encrypted. UNLESS, the company is using a web proxy with ssl certificate interception, in which case they could save a full packet capture. It is rare that company have that kind of proxy setup (although the feature is pretty common with UTMs), and even more rare that they would be capturing all traffic.

They can however see how often you visit gmail. If you pissed off the wrong IT person I suppose they could sneak a keylogger on your system and capture it all that way...