Can my 75GXP handle 83MHz FSB

QuakeBoy

Apr 23, 2000
Hi

I would like to know if my IBM DeskStar 75GXP 30GB HDD can handle a FSB speed of 83 MHz, has anyone tried this???

I have a Celery 466 that runs 583 at 2.05V and a Chaintech 6BTM (440BX) but i'm worried that anything will happen to my brand spanking new wonder disk.
So if anyone has any info it would be greatly appriciatet.

Thanx

QuakeBoy

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I ran an IBM 34 GXP for a little while at 41.5 MHz PCI (FSB 83). That said, I would never do it for extended periods, because the rate of drive crashes in general at that speed is too high. Plus my burner doesn't work 100% properly at that speed either... sometimes I get coasters. That said, there are many on this site with IBM drives that have been going for months with a PCI bus over 41 MHz.

By the way, strangely enough, my old Quantum seems to dislike underclocking more than it dislikes overclocking. Go figure. (Anyone else notice this?)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
QuakeBoy,

The IBM DeskStar 75GXP line of drives are of very high quality and speed, as well as reliability. However, if you don't want to take the risk of damaging your drive, I would recommend not to take this course of action. Selecting a different frontside bus speed would be a little more wise.

Personally, I use the 75MHz setting, as the PCI frequency remains at sane levels while still providing a very nice boost over the 66MHz FSB frequency. I've ran my Cyrix PR200 and MII-300 on the 83MHz FSB, using a 420MB Seagate as well as a 2.1GB Seagate. Since then, the 2.1GB Seagate drive has always been pretty strange. It functions, but it is definitely not normal.

I happen to have the Quantum equivalent of your drive (Quantum LM - but I have the 20.5GB), and I have yet to use the 83MHz FSB, because I simply don't want to take the risk of damaging this awesome little drive at all.

If you're daring though, you'll certainly find that using the 83MHz FSB will speed things up quite significantly, arguably even more so than the 100MHz FSB.

Good luck on your overclocking adventures,

-RSI

han888

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
i run my pci bus speed at 41 mhz for 1 month already, and until know i havent got any stange problem, i dont know is it my quantum lm can handle this bus speed,or may be because i put some cooller on my hd :)

QuakeBoy

Apr 23, 2000
hmm...

This dosen't look too good

The problem is that I would like a little more speed than the 525MHz (7x75) can give me, but not at the expense of my lovely 75GXP

There must be someone out there that run his/her 75GXP succesfully at 83 MHz fsb

Thanx for the replys

QuakeBoy

Apr 23, 2000

What if I disable UDMA and only run PIO Mode 4, I know that this is a terrible thing to do especially on a 75GXP, but I really need some extra speed without spending any money.

But the question is, will disabling UDMA put less stress on my disk and there for not risking to kill it.

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I was running one of the 15gb 75gxp at 83mhz for about one month. I booted up one morning and had nothing. The drive just crashed. I don't know for sure if it was due to the 83mhz bus, but I'm willing to bet that's what it was. I'm now running 75mhz until I get a new chip that I can run at 100mhz.

collin

fxsts

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Your IBM 75GXP should be able to run on 83Mhz FSB (41.5Mhz PCI). However, what I would be concerned with is the long term effect of the high PCI bus to the hard drive. I used to use 83Mhz FSB a lot in the days of socket 7 with Pentium, Pentium MMX and K6 233 as it was the ultimate overclocking in those days.

The result is that I ended up having a couple of harddrives started developing bad sectors and eventually died.

Today's harddrives should be better, but I still do not feel too comfortable running harddrives at 41.5Mhz since I am still afraid that it might reduce their life.