Can Kool-Aid go bad?

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
just as the title says

its mainly sugar so yeah can it go bad...i really want some kool-aid but the container is old as hell

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
I have 3 year old kool-aid that I still drink. Sugar doesn't really go bad unless it's exposed to moisture. OH YEAHHHH!

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
If only there were some kind of disinfecting liquid that you could pour into the kool-aid to make sure it was ok....

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Well, to go bad, you have to be good at some point. Kool-Aid was never good. So that answers your question: NO it can't go bad since it was never good.

It can go worse however. Anything can go from sucking to being absolutely nasty. Kool-Aid can do that. So to answer your real question that wen't unasked: YES it can go from bad to worse.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: ggnl
If only there were some kind of disinfecting liquid that you could pour into the kool-aid to make sure it was ok....

:laugh::thumbsup:

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: zinfamous
I'm sure the members here would know. Lot of Kool-aid drinkers in P&N ;)
That stuff is downright toxic though. It's like sarin nerve gas, except it never loses its potency, and it continually rots away the brain.

The packets of Kool-Aid + your own sugar is probably a much better deal. I haven't priced out the pre-mixed powder + sugar, but I imagine that you take a hit from a huge markup from them mixing the flavor powder (the real "value-added" component) to plain sugar.

$2.75 for 5lbs of sugar = 11.25 cups
<$0.22 for each packet of flavoring = $2.42.
maybe 5 cents of water for all 22 quarts?

$5.22 of supplies for 22 quarts (88 cups) of flavored drink.

How much does a canister of the pre-mixed powder & sugar cost, and how much drink does it make?

(Funny thing - buy the packets in "large quantities" at Amazon, and you get to pay more than 2x what it costs to buy them at the store individually. It's not just epic fail, it's bulk fail.)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Useless trivia.
The term "Don't drink the kool-aid" is wrong, Jim Jones actually used flavor-aid.

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
well i made some and then drank it...i feel no ill effects besides im dizzy and really funny...but that could be beer talking so i'm gonna wait it out and see what happens tomorrow