can I use hot glue to attach ram heat sinks?

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
I recently recieved a pack of ram heatsinks with no tape.

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to attach these things

theyre aluminum btw.

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
i have heard of putting thermal compound down, and then using a little super glue on the corners to hold it on, but then it is permanent
i wouldn't use hot glue

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
dang,

where can i get something good to use to attach these sinks.

Im not sure I want to use the superglue.

what are the good brands of epoxy/thermal glue?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
lol, use superglue befor jbweld, just a bit of superglue to hold it, you should be able to twist it off later

wj

Oct 9, 1999
Get some 3M Thermal Tape to put them on.
Go to 2cooltek to get it.

wj :cool:

CarpeDeo

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2000
But remember that thermal/frag tape still has a MUCH lower rate of heat transfer than most any grease (especially the arctic silver). Anybody have any word on silver epoxy?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
use heatsink compound, then use hot glue at ends to just hold them in place (use little as much to not make a mess). Rams get warm but they dont get really hot so it'll be fine. and u can easily take em off later when u wanna reapply fresh heat sink compound or found better heat sink or something

Gringo

Aug 29, 2000
I agree with snowman, use arctic silver or something for the thermal contact, then just a dab of super on 2 corners...should twist right off if you should want to remove it. Applying hotgun glue is a mess...just no easy way to apply the stuff with out it getting all over. Or maybe I am messy (probably).

There is a new AS type substance comming out, its an epoxy, for just this situation...if you want it to be permanant. I have not seen it out yet, so ill join carpedeo in asking, anyone know anything about it?

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
Mustang,

WOW 205 on your radeon, thats up there. Can you post any benches? spcifically, what was the increase in Q3 fps...

I have been thinkning about oc'ing my radeon, but that heatsink/fan looks pretty pitiful...

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
yep it is way up there and so far i dont see much difference between 190/190 and 205/205.
they both yield about %10 in performance increase. i've trashed my first radeon trying to oc the hell out of it, (still not sure what happened, for sure oc'ing usualy doesnt mess it up permanently). my benchmarks are not spectacular due to slow cpu, but i think i can use it for another 6 months before i upgrade cpu.

ill do a run on 3D mark 2000 and post here

Trifecta

May 27, 2000
well, if you could do some before and after, maybe that would show the effects a bit more.

are you using powerstrip to overclock?

My radeon came in at 164 memory / 164 chip for speed, so getting it up to 200 would be risky without modification for the heatsink.

did you mean that you had a stock speed of 195?