Question Can I use an hdmi to vga adapter for this?

H08X

Dec 6, 2019
I have a work laptop and it only has a vga port so I have to use a monitor with a vga port. The monitor has 2 hdmi ports as well, so could I use a hdmi to vga adapter to connect it to my tower. My tower needs a vga port but the laptop requires that. I want to be able to use the monitor for both but I don't know if I can. Also since the laptop only has a vga port I am using my 1080p monitor with the right port but I am wondering if I can use a 4k monitor to connect it to my laptop using some other adapter. Btw I am sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't know really anything about this type of stuff.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
HDMI to VGA adapters are one way devices since you are converting from a digital signal (HDMI) to an analog one (VGA). Both directions exist, something like this is what you need to get multiple VGA sources hooked to your monitor:

If VGA is the only video output on that laptop (no DisplayPort?) then it may be difficult to drive a 4K monitor as it likely also does not have a high bandwidth port available. If you have a USB 3.0 port available though adapters to DP or HDMI exist that will do 4K and work reasonably well for office type work.

Viper GTS

Reactions: H08X

H08X

Dec 6, 2019
HDMI to VGA adapters are one way devices since you are converting from a digital signal (HDMI) to an analog one (VGA). Both directions exist, something like this is what you need to get multiple VGA sources hooked to your monitor:

If VGA is the only video output on that laptop (no DisplayPort?) then it may be difficult to drive a 4K monitor as it likely also does not have a high bandwidth port available. If you have a USB 3.0 port available though adapters to DP or HDMI exist that will do 4K and work reasonably well for office type work.

Viper GTS
Ok so I would only need one of those? Since the monitor has 2 hdmi ports and one vga I can hook up my tower or laptop through the vga and the other one with that adapter? Is the adapter you posted good, if so I will just buy that one so I know I have the correct adapter.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
That's the one I would get based on the quick looking I did.

Yes you would only need one - I'd probably put it on your tower so that you don't have to move it.

I would also point out that the delta to buy a video card with an HDMI port would not be huge - we are talking about maybe $40-50 if you don't want anything fancy vs the $20 for that adapter. A video card would give you more flexibility in the future and potentially better image quality today, though buying a video card for a machine that only has VGA output may not be worthwhile.

Either way should work fine.

Viper GTS

Reactions: H08X

H08X

Dec 6, 2019
My job just recently upgraded our laptops, still don't think it is anything super new but maybe it is. Anyways it has a vga port just like the old laptop except now it has a hdmi port on it as well. So can I do 4k monitor on this laptop or no? Also how can I tell if the laptop can have 2 extra monitors (the laptop and 2 additional monitors on it).

I don't know if it helps but it is an hp probook pb645 G4.