Can i use a P3 case and psu for a P4 mobo and cpu?

Wishkar

Jul 25, 2002
Hi, first ever post for me :)

I currently have the gateway case and psu that came with my P3 450 (very first generation of p3s, if there were subsequent stepping changes). I'm thinking of upgrading to a p4 1.6a (oc'ed of course) and an i845g based mobo (possibly bg7 or p4b533-v). Reading around randomly, i get the impression that these p4 mobos have an additional 12v power socket or something? Would i be able to use my existing case and psu or will that have to be ditched as well?

If it does have to be ditched, can someone recommend a good quite case thats not too expensive. I live in the UK so possible UK vendor suggestions also highly appreciated.

Cheers

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
odds are your old psu won't have the 12v connector...check and see if you see an odd 2x2 pin connect in there...thats the 12v.

Your old psu probably won't be able to accomdate a p4 too as p4s use at least 60 watts.

Buy a new psu and case You'll be better off in the long run

Wishkar

Jul 25, 2002
Cheers for the info. Looks like i'm gonna have to live with integrated graphics for a while and use the money to get a case instead.

Can P4 ready cases accomodate athlon xp's as well? Currently thinking of getting the Antec sx630, but thats well expensive here in the UK, cheapest i've found is 65 pounds sterling (90 odd us dollars). :(

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
"p4 ready" psus contain the 2x2 mandatory 12v line that is required to directly power the p4 itself...and also contain the also mandatory 12x2 connector that powers your mobo...regardless if its a p4 or athlon. Athlons also don't require the 12v rail.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Question?!? Why not just Ditch The PSU and keep the case. Chances are that you can mount the mobo in the case and that is all you really need. I can also recommend a good p4 PSU and Vendor.New Egg Get one of the True powers. (Im running the 330) They are VERY quiet. I was amazed at the diffrence in case noise when I installed it. (my old psu was like 1/2 of the noise!!).

Wishkar

Jul 25, 2002
i was worried that i wouldn't be able to get the psu off the case, being a gateway case and everything. i'll have a look as soon as i get access to my computer again (i'm currently on holiday and the pc in question is stuck in a storeroom at uni). Would a 'better' (ie more expensive) case have better cooling without additional fans?

Thanks for your help everyone :) Never realised there were so many UK based overclocking sites.