Can I turn off the auto-dimming feature of my rear view mirror?

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001
My wife's car (2003 Saturn Vue) has an auto-dimming rear view mirror with a built in compass and thermometer.

One thing that really annoys me is that every time you start the car the "COMP" option is always on and the everything is dark. This happens whether it's night or day. It doesn't seem to be "auto-dimming" if it's always dimming.

Is there an option somewhere to turn this off? Every time I drive her car, the first thing I do is reach up and hit the COMP button to turn it off so I can see behind me as I back out of the garage.

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Do you have the headlights on during the day?

The car has daytime running lights, so they're always on. Is that what triggers the auto-dimming?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Tifababy
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Do you have the headlights on during the day?

The car has daytime running lights, so they're always on. Is that what triggers the auto-dimming?

I'm guessing. My BMW has an Autodimming mirror and I don't get this issue. Saying that it will dim if the sun is on it during the day, but then I want that, so it's working correctly.

Dunno, I just thought that maybe it was activated with the lights on that model.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
the auto dimming mirror works off sensors that detect the light coming into the mirror, i believe... that's why they tend to be thicker than normal mirrors.

Are there any buttons on the actual mirror?

there is usually a button to disable it. I actually do this a lot, b/c at night, w/ the auto-dim and a 15% tint in the back, it gets pretty dark.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
my 04 camry has a button on the mirrow to turn it off. however when mine dims it just turns the headlights of the car behing me green.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It could be the sensor is broken. This happened to my Audi. Has it always been this way? If so, weird.