Can I tell if a phone number is on CDMA/GSM (or, the carrier)?

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
I have an aunt in NJ who's still on a flip-phone, and I want to buy her a smart phone; if nothing else, to make it easier for her to call Uber / Lyft. But I don't know her carrier, or if her phone uses CDMA or GSM, making it difficult for me to buy a phone for her. Short of calling and asking her (thereby spoiling the surprise), is there any way I can find this out?

I tried googling her number but it came back with results that show three different owner names, so I don't trust that info now.

A new iPhone might be too expensive for me, so I am looking at Android phones like the OnePlus or similar.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I'm pretty sure you can buy an unlocked cdma and still have GSM capabilities due to requirements when traveling. The same is not true for the reverse, if you buy a GSM you arent going to be able to go CDMA

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You could just ask here who is her carrier. You know, use the phone as a phone?

There will be a service change anyway so maybe it is not even important which carrier she has.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
There is no way to tell, but what you could do is buy a phone that supports carrier bands for both CDMA and GSM networks. In other words buy her a google phone. Why not pick up a Nexus 5x? Should be able to get one for $150, and it will work on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, or Tmobile.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
Ok, that's good info to have, thanks. Looks like if I buy CDMA phones in the US, they are also compatible to GSM, and that holds for iPhones and for Androids.

That should be that - I don't have to worry about it much, then. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadiclDreamer

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Ok, that's good info to have, thanks. Looks like if I buy CDMA phones in the US, they are also compatible to GSM, and holds for iPhones and for Androids.

That should be that - I don't have to worry about it much, then. Thanks.
Just FYI not all CDMA phones will support all of the GSM bands that carriers use. Also if you buy a phone directly from a carrier they might disable some of the bands.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I highly doubt you can buy a CDMA smart phone, at least not a modern one. CDMA is on it's way out, everything is HSPA now days. That said it does not really matter what her phone is on, if you buy a new one they'll transfer the service over if you go to your carrier's store and bring the phone.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you talk to her frequently enough, just ask. You can think up a creative lie to get it in the conversation. Sample...

"What cell service are you using? I've been having issues with mine, and I'm thinking about switching".

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Depending on how much air time is actually used on a monthly basis, the least expensive plan would be to go to the current provider's web site, and check for the least expensive "smart" phone when purchased directly from the carrier. If the flip-phone is currently on Trac-Phone, or PagePlus (for example), then just get a replacement from one of those web sites.
The Motorola Moto G (4th gen.) seems to be capable of working on any major cell carrier:
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gen-Unlocked-Black/dp/B01DZJFSZ4

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I highly doubt you can buy a CDMA smart phone, at least not a modern one. CDMA is on it's way out, everything is HSPA now days. That said it does not really matter what her phone is on, if you buy a new one they'll transfer the service over if you go to your carrier's store and bring the phone.

Lots of the carriers in the US still run on CDMA....unfortunately.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope.

The 4 major carriers tried to divy up the numbers when the FCC added new area codes and prefixes, but somebody stopped them. They actually had a logical argument, but I forget what it was at the time.

Nov 20, 2009
You could just ask here who is her carrier. You know, use the phone as a phone?

There will be a service change anyway so maybe it is not even important which carrier she has.
I joke about this with my boss all of the time. I work for the phone company and find it amusing how scared my fellow employees seem to be in using their company issued cell phone for ... wait for it ... calling people.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nice! It says the number is on AT&T! I guess that confirms GSM...?

Thanks!
Yes: the "carrier" may be AT&T, but the "provider" (where the payment for airtime goes) may well be another entity, such as TracPhone. So: in order to keep the monthly fees to a bare minimum, more research would be required.
PagePlus (a Verizon air time re-seller) offers a bare minimum plan with only one hour air time per every 4 months, for $10. Any data transfers, such as software updates, are configured to occur via WiFi only. Data via cell signal would still be available, if needed temporarily.
"Air time" meaning: actual telephone conversations.
Buying air time direct from AT&T would likely be much more expensive than buying service from a 3rd-party such as TracPhone or PagePlus.
So: the amount of actual air time usage would need to be considered, in order to try and minimize the costs involved.

Last edited:

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
If you talk to her frequently enough, just ask. You can think up a creative lie to get it in the conversation. Sample...

"What cell service are you using? I've been having issues with mine, and I'm thinking about switching".

I tried, but - she's currently on a cruise to the Caribbean this week and I can't reach her as she must have shut her phone off.

I only realized she is struggling with a flip-phone when she had me call her an Uber in a hurry when she could get a taxi to the airport last week.

She comes back when the cruise ends on Sunday, which she will spend with us before leaving for her home. That's the only day I have to set her up with a new phone and also show her the basic steps of working it, so I don't want to spend it in stores buying a device.

Her daughter (my cousin) is too busy in her own career and family to bother with how mom is navigating the world, so If I don't do this, nobody else is gonna, and I'd rather do it in person than on the phone after she departs. She's pretty well off, so money is not the issue for her; she has been very kind to us and our kids and I'd like to do something to make her life a bit easier, hence all this.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Personally, I would advise against making the phone selection, carrier and ongoing airtime fees decisions on your own, without prior consultation. Otherwise, you risk greatly increased monthly airtime fees, for little perceived benefit.
Is she happy with the cell signal strength when using her current flip-phone on AT&T?

Last edited:

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
I would not be changing anything other than the phone - whatever her carrier and plan, will remain the same. I will be just replacing flip phone with a smart phone. From all indications looks like she has AT&T, so that would mean only her sim card might change (for size), but nothing else.

I am doing this so she can use Uber / Lyft, and Facebook and emails, so she does not have to depend on her desktop for minor stuff like that.

And finally, now I am thinking of an iPhone 7 for her - might be easier for her.

Thanks everybody!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I would not be changing anything other than the phone - whatever her carrier and plan, will remain the same. I will be just replacing flip phone with a smart phone. From all indications looks like she has AT&T, so that would mean only her sim card might change (for size), but nothing else.

I am doing this so she can use Uber / Lyft, and Facebook and emails, so she does not have to depend on her desktop for minor stuff like that.

And finally, now I am thinking of an iPhone 7 for her - might be easier for her.

Thanks everybody!

err if she has no data plan, uber app ain't gonna work other than through wifi

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Okay: please give an update once the new smart phone has actually replaced the flip phone, and whether any monthly air time fee increases were encountered.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
True - she might not have data included in her plan, and might need to upgrade.

I don't see the added cost being a problem for her - but she'd still need to decide yes or no. Let's see.