Can I split 1 cable line to 2 cable modems ?

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001

my son has a computer that I want completly segmented away from my 3 node lan (he's a node on my lan currently). I've got hardware & software firewalls running but my son is loading all this peer-to-peer software (internet gaming servers, music sharing program, etc) that I'm afraid will open up my systems to hackers.

A friend suggested splitting the cable coming into the house and adding a second cable modem. Put my sons system behind one modem and my lan behind the other.

Seems to me that the cable company might choke on two diff IP address ? Has anyone tried this ? Any suggestions ?

thanks in advance.

dave

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I'd imagine you could do it, but you would have to be very careful with the splitter you get.

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
Hum?, "very careful with the splitter". Didn't realize there was a big diff in splitters, except I notice there is diff OHM ratings. Are you refering to no degrading the signel strength too much ?

thanks

also, is there a way to use two routers to achieve the same results ?

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: dxpaap
Hum?, "very careful with the splitter". Didn't realize there was a big diff in splitters, except I notice there is diff OHM ratings. Are you refering to no degrading the signel strength too much ?

thanks

also, is there a way to use two routers to achieve the same results ?

I don't know the terminology off hand, but it is all about signal quality. Make sure to check the type of cable in use (RG-59 was common with older cable systems, rg-6 was used for DirecTV and maybe digital cable). My roommate had a splitter on the line that is used for our cable modem, and we had some horrid connection issues. We removed the splitter and they improved.

Anyhow, if you can lease multiple IPs from the cable company, a second router might work just as well. Plop a switch immediately off the cable modem and hook the routers into it.

crispytreat

Jul 15, 2004
Use two routers. That way you can have two subnets. All systems will have internet access, but the systems on the different routers won't be able to see one another.

ZickZJ

Aug 25, 2003
Depending on the ISP, yes and no. With my ISP I cannot put another Cable modem on my network because they restrict use based on MAC address of the modem. So basically anytime I switch Modems I have to call my ISP and tell them my new MAC address of the Modem or it will not work. Mine told me if I add another Cable Modem I will be charged for two service lines. So instead I just threw in a switch.

scaryjeff

Sep 14, 2000
Our cable line uses a splitter to conenct a cable TV box and a cable modem, and we have had no connection issues ever. I think your main problem will be as ZickZJ said, that your provider will want to charge you extra or double to have two modems connected.