Can I safely remove a trim that has Airbags labeled on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I am about to venture into my first DIY project for my car. I want to install a backup camera to a Sienna 2004 that I just got. I've been on Tech Info Toyota scouring through the various manuals, but there's still a lot to digest.

I do have a question. See this picture for reference:

toyota_sienna_2004_interior_001.jpg

There are multiple routes that I can take the wire. But the only camera installation that I've seen for a Sienna model has the camera wire routed through the side ceiling using the vents to fish the wire. As I was looking on my van, I noticed that the ceiling-to-dash trim has "Side Curtain Airbags" engraved on it.

Is it safe to take this trim off without deploying the airbags? If so, do I need to remove it a special way? Or can I just use the same techniques that's on various YouTube videos?

Thanks!

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Just find out where airbags are and don't mess with them.

The green route should be no problem.

Have you thought of wireless cam? Might save you lots of work as well.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, you can take that trim off. The side curtain is rolled up and fastened to the A-pillar. I know how the Honda trim comes off and I think Toyota is the same- the little square piece that says 'SRS' or 'air bag' or whatever pops out, then you slide the pillar trim away from the dashboard. You need to pull the door seal away from it before removing it, also.

If it doesn't pull away from the pillar after popping that little piece out, it has another little clip or two back there, similar to a door panel or any other interior trim. Just give it firm tug and it will come loose. Be careful...interior work on modern cars needs a bit of an acquired touch. I.e. an ability to feel 'I'm popping clips loose' versus 'there is a hidden fastener and I'm about to break something'.

The little tab itself can be quite stubborn, and you need to be careful not to damage it, as it may serve a purpose related to the airbag- when the bag deploys, the pillar trim is knocked out of the way, and those clips sometimes help to retain it in a manner that directs it out of the way of the bag...rather than it being propelled into your head. A lot of cars have little plastic tethers for this purpose. IIRC, though, most Japanese cars just rely on the end of the pillar cover being stuck into the holes in the dashboard.

The more worrisome thing is your wiring itself. Just make sure you use some common sense. I've seen a lot of cases where people have routed wiring for accessories up the A-pillar...and chosen to secure it by wrapping it around the airbag. :hmm:

Use wire ties to fasten it to the existing factory harness and you'll be fine.

People are very overly-afraid of modern airbag systems. It's just not that big a deal; and they're usually worried about the wrong thing. I've never seen anyone cause accidental deployment...but I've seen many cases of people placing an obstruction by the bag, or not installing the trim correctly. But I'd of course still always advise taking the factory-recommended precautions. Disconnect battery if you're going to unplug anything, set airbags aside in a secure location, ect. It's just that the bags don't go off by themselves, and I gotta kinda laugh at how some people cringe when they see me working with them, as if I'm troubleshooting a loaded gun. With the barrel pointed at my face. I'm confident in the fact that as long as power is not applied to the squib, nothing is going to happen. A super important thing to note there: multimeters check resistance by applying power. Do not check ever try and 'check' airbags. Heh.

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Just as an addition to above- Just make sure your wiring doesn't go across the airbag and its well secured out of the way. You don't want it shifting during a crash. Working with airbags isn't a huge deal as long as you follow the proper safety precautions. I've had my steering wheel out to replace lights, etc. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.