Can I return the ATI Radeon9800 Pro to Best Buy? UPDATED (YES!)

daba

Mar 27, 2004
Here's the story:

Some of you may know about the Gat3way deal regarding the Radeon9800 Pro; well I ordered mine and after much hassle with GW decided to cancel it. In the meantime I went to B3stBuy and bought the exact same card. Turns out, GW didn't cancel my order and yesterday FEDEX shows up at my door with a Radeon9800 Pro. My question is, can I return this to BB instead of going through the hassle again with GW? I'm not sure if BB puts a special bar code on it or something, which would prevent me from just returning it. (i.e. the way they scan their barcodes).

Thanks in advance,
daba

Updated 04-02-04
Refunded every last penny to my debit card with no hassle!

VoodooU

Jun 21, 2002
Keep in mind that some stores do catalog SKU and if it doesn't match their system you can't return it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
For non-defective returns, Best Buy is 14 days from date of purchase with receipt, original merchandise, and all packaging in like-new condition. You will need to return the same card to them, not the one you got from Gateway.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The SKU of the item will determine if it can be returned to Best Buy. If it's an exact match - which you say it is - there should be no problem.

Best Buy also tracks another 7-digit number for items but it's just an internal shortform code for the SKU of the item. You should be fine.

hahher

Jan 23, 2004
would they accept a western digital hard drive non-defective return? with the new plastic packaging it requires you to cut it open to even try it.

daba

Mar 27, 2004
I checked the UPC codes from both of my boxes and they are identical. The one from GW is plastic sealed... however there is a S/N sticker on the BB one which doesn't match up with the S/N from GW. Should I just take off the plastic seal and affix the BB sticker onto the GW box? Thanks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Just give BB the correct card and be done with it.

This isn't rocket science.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: CraigRT
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
why not just sell the one from GW on the FS/trade thread?

cause I am sure he wants full retail return... I would too

Yeah, the FS/T forum is a good place to give stuff away. I bet you could find somebody there willing to offer $50 and a broken floppy for it.
:p You ship first, of course.
rolleye.gif

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
For non-defective returns, Best Buy is 14 days from date of purchase with receipt, original merchandise, and all packaging in like-new condition. You will need to return the same card to them, not the one you got from Gateway.
actually no it's 30 days as you can see from their return policy

here

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
As long as the boxes look the same and such, you can jsut return either one. They have no way of knowing if it's the same card or not. If nothing else, why not just swap cards and then take the actual one back to BB. WOudln't take more than a minute or two...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: daba
I checked the UPC codes from both of my boxes and they are identical. The one from GW is plastic sealed... however there is a S/N sticker on the BB one which doesn't match up with the S/N from GW. Should I just take off the plastic seal and affix the BB sticker onto the GW box? Thanks.
If that S/N shows up on your receipt then to be safe you might want to put the sticker on, yes. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Note that while what you're doing is not 100% kosher it's not a big deal either - hell, this way BB is getting back a card that hasn't been used for even a second. Do as you will.