Can I refuel my zippo with this butane in a can with a white tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
doesn't butane turn into gas when exposed/sprayed? heh, I think you need lighter fluid.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, a post from Yakko that sorta makes sense. I'm marking this day on the calender.

A zippo uses lighter fluid. The butane while it is a liquid in the can will turn to a gas as soon as the pressure is released.

So, the answer is no, you cannot use pressurized butane to refill a normal zippo lighter.

There are butane zippo lighters, and then the answer is yes you can.
Zippo no longer makes butane lighters. Zippo butane lighters were made from the mid 80's to the mid 90's, however, they have been discontinued from the product line.

So which type of zippo do you have?

zippo.com FAQ

Redwingsguy

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2000
lol well i tried it and when i struck it the whole lighter caught aflame and went out when i dropped it. so I guess I'll have to get some fluid

I have a newer one with th cotton wadding in the bottom

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You need regular lighter fluid for that, not butane. Butane will evaporate immediately, if it doesn't flash and burn all the hair off your body first. :Q

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
From the faq.

How do I add fuel to my Zippo lighter?

Remove the inside unit from the case. Lift the corner of the felt pad on the bottom of the insert to reveal the packing material in the fuel chamber. Saturate the packing with Zippo lighter fluid. Fill slowly, taking care to never overfill. Avoid getting the lighter fluid on your skin as it can be a skin irritant. If contact with skin does occur, wash the effected area with mild soap and water.

Insert the inside unit back into the case, making sure to wipe the lighter and your hands dry before igniting. Be sure the fuel can is closed and there is no spilled fuel in the vicinity before igniting. This is a flammable fluid.

If the Zippo lighter is kept in your pocket, Zippo suggests that it be placed bottom down, especially when first re-fueled.

I suggest filling it at night and leaving it alone till next morning, that lighter fluid will burn the hell out of you. I put one in a shirt pocket after refilling, ONCE.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< Wow, a post from Yakko that sorta makes sense >>

HOLYSH!T!!!! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I must retract that statement Yakko. Zippo did make butane lighters.

Your record stands, >9000 posts of nonsense.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
So, while we're on the subject, is there any online place that sells Zippos for cheap? I know they're available locally all over the place but they're all at retail prices, for the most part. Plus, I like not getting up from the ol' chair. ;)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
raptor13,

Zippo lighters are not all that expensive in most cases. A good basic one will run between $10 and $20.

etech,

I never knew there was a rule that said any posts had to be useful. If you find my posts to be so annoying I am sure there are other forums you can go spout off.

raptor13

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yakko,

Sure they're cheap, I know. I, too, am cheap which is why I'm looking for cheaper!

Rodice

May 21, 2017
For a zippo blu its recommended you use only zippo butane, although the choice is yours. But the new zippo butane line of lighters are made with such tight tolerances if you use a dirty gas, like the ones with multiple tips, youll ruin the lighter before the can is empty.

You can use the white tip if you'd like too but you can also use no tip. Just make sure you open the lid and depress the wheel flint to refill. Hold for ten seconds like that. Close the lid and do for ten seconds again.

Be very careful with other brand butanes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What I miss most about smoking is always having a liquid fueled zippo in my pocket. I'd carry one anyway, but the fluid would evaporate before I needed it.

Rodice

May 21, 2017
Quit smoking and save a bunch of money
Get a good job and you don't have to.

No reason to necro bump a nearly 16 year old thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.