can i lock my suitcase zipper?

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
going on a flight to china tomorrow with a layover at detroit and japan. Can i lock the zippers on my suitcase?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Are they being checked? If so then the answer is no. The TSA have to be able to search inside all checked baggage.

Flammable

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2007
Originally posted by: KLin
Are they being checked? If so then the answer is no. The TSA have to be able to search inside all checked baggage.

thanks for the tip :)

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Don't bother

1. even before security concerns, locks were a sign to thiefs something was worth locking and will make your bag a target

2. It will now be ripped off by the TSA, as they check mostly everything now, and not in a polite manner might I add.

I had an antique, were talking 1800's here, architect drawing set in my carry on. It included sharp instruments like a compass and what not. I even told them it was in my bag before I ran it through. Well some lady who did not here me say it was there, freaked out and hauled me and my bag to a room in a security office and they ripped apart my bag and started picking up and man handling all the brittle and expensive instruments. It was located in a zipper pouch on the outside. I tried to tell them but all I got was some lady thug telling me to shut up while they ripped apart my clothes and crap and then took my advice to looking on the outside to find it.

I called the airport the day before explaining I would be bringing it in a carry on...shrug

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can use special locks which can be opened by the TSA. I use them. I figure it protects me against the baggage handlers, who I think are the cause of most luggage thefts anyway. Link to one source.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: kranky
You can use special locks which can be opened by the TSA. I use them. I figure it protects me against the baggage handlers, who I think are the cause of most luggage thefts anyway. Link to one source.

brookstone should also carry them.

yup