Can i have a SSD + Hybrid combination in my laptop?

georgexyd

Apr 27, 2013
I have a Toshiba Qosmio x870-144 gaming laptop. It has a 128GB SSD and a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD. I have a spare Seagate 750GB Hybrid 7200rpm.

Can I replace the 1TB HDD with the Seagate?
Will I get better performance?
Can the laptop handle this combination of SSD and Hybrid drive? Will this affect the temperatures of the unit?
Thank you
iam new to this forum sorry if i posted this in a wrong section

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
It will work fine but won't really give you better performance unless you actually have some frequently used applications stored on the Hybrid drive.

Hybrid drives are only faster for the small amount of frequently used files stored in flash memory, for a storage device like a secondary harddrive you shouldn't notice much difference.

georgexyd

Apr 27, 2013
Do you thing that the psu of the laptop will have any problem to feed both the ssd and the hybrid?

georgexyd

Apr 27, 2013
It will work fine but won't really give you better performance unless you actually have some frequently used applications stored on the Hybrid drive.

Hybrid drives are only faster for the small amount of frequently used files stored in flash memory, for a storage device like a secondary harddrive you shouldn't notice much difference.

because the ssd is small (128 GB) i will use the hybrid for some applications that need lot of space such as games so i suppose that i will use frequently a small number of applications so i will have a small improvement from the adaptive memory..
Do you thing that the psu of the laptop will have any problem to feed both the ssd and the hybrid?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
u dont really notice a hybrid drive being faster then per say a raptor drive.

But anyhow my take on hybrids.. u dont notice the increase at all, and by the time it does increase, you got trained to the slow decreases that u dont ever notice it.

Also there not that much faster then a normal per say hdd even with the decrease.
If u need a large cap storage of speed, save up and get the new crucial with the 512gb capacity thats ~400 dollars.

Last edited:

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
One interesting thing that I want to try is to take a thinkpad, take out the optical drive and replace it with a hard drive.

Get like a sandisk readyboost and combine it with a terabyte HD. Use sandisk software to boost their speed.

but of course you can do it. It's probably not very cost-effective.