Can I get a college loan?

Ilikepiedoyou

Jan 10, 2006
background:
I am transferring schools, to a better school. I have most of my current schooling paid for by merit based scholarships, which I will lose when I transfer schools. I am currently 22, and the school I will be transferring to is in another league compared to my current school. It will only take me two more years to finish, but I will incur serious debt.

What is the likelihood that I can get a 24,000 school loan, without a cosigner, with good credit, and not have to pay it back for two years? Where would I look for something like this?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The size of school loans (fed backed ones anyway) are based on tuition and cost of living for the particular school you will be attending.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
The size of school loans (fed backed ones anyway) are based on tuition and cost of living for the particular school you will be attending.

As such, you'll need to contact the new school's financial aid office and fill out the required paperwork.

Otherwise, you can just call the number from one of those Astrive student loan commercials.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: ironwing

I'm not sure about the Perkin's Loan, but the Stafford loan is actually based on the number of credits you've completed, and whether you're a dependent or not.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Try Sallie Mae.

I just got a loan from them (private). Granted it was only $2,000, but the interest rate is a manageable 8.5% and no payments are required during schooling.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Since no one on this forum (or mostly no one) is involved in writing education loans we probably can't tell you if you're eligable or not.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The odds of getting a $24k private loan without a co-signer is next to impossible unless you have an extensive credit history. It has to be more than just "good."

Have you looked into FAFSA and Stafford Loans. Im not sure how much your parents make, but at the very least you could get $5500 in unsubsidized loans each year.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
From what I understand, colleges usually find some way for you to pay your tuition, whether it be through loans or not.

Ilikepiedoyou

Jan 10, 2006
Can I go into a bank and find out if this sort of loan would be available to me and what sort interest rate it would require, even if I don't plan on applying for till the fall

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ilikepiedoyou
Can I go into a bank and find out if this sort of loan would be available to me and what sort interest rate it would require, even if I don't plan on applying for till the fall

I'n sure your best bet is to talk to someone at the School you'll be attending. They deal with that kind of thing all the time.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
How good of credit do you have? If it's decent, and by decent I by no means mean fantastic, you can easily get a loan.

You can get a private loan, @~8.75% interest, in any amount you choose, as long as it gets certified by the school. What does that mean? It means they will take your cost of attendance (which includes living, tuition, books, etc. All schools have this information available, it should be on the financial aid website), subtract any grants/loans you already have, and voila! The magic number is revealed for how much you can borrow.

For example, my school has determined that attending school and living off campus would require ~22K. Let's say I have a grant from the university for 7K and a scholarship for 2K. 22K - 7K -2K = 13K. That is how much I must come up with to meet their estimated cost of living. This would also be the number that you are allowed to borrow UP TO. You don't necessarily have to borrow all of it, but you can if you want.

Now, let's say that I don't have any grants or scholarships. That means I can borrow up to 22K, the full costs of attending the school. Do you see what I'm saying? You subtract what money you've already got from the estimated living expenses, and that is how much you can take out on a loan. Remember, you don't have to borrow all of it, so don't get yourself in trouble with too much loans.

Here's another question you might ask? Where can I get a private loan? Well shoot cowboy, anywhere that offers student loans? Wachovia, Citibank, Bank of America, ACS, Sallie Mae, all of these are just a few of the companies out there willing to lend you student loan money. You just go to their site, fill out the application for a private student loan, wait for them to tell you if they approved your credit or not, and then wait for them to send the info to the school for certification. If the school certifies it, the company will then either send you a check in the amount of the loan or your school will issue it.

Your school should have a list of financial loan institutions that they have regularly done business with, which is nice because that usually means your certification won't take as long. Find that list and use one of those loaners if you can.

Something else to remember: assuming you haven't taken out any loans, you will be eligible to get a Stafford loan. Let me explain further:

Stafford Subsidized Loan: Issued by many loan corporations (Wachovia, Citibank, etc. any school on that list will offer it). The interest on the loan is paid by the company while you are in school. That is what subsidized means; any interested accumulated during school is not something you have to worry about, the interest will only apply after you graduate. Payments do not begin until 6 months after you graduate or fall below full-time status. You can borrow up to $3500 if you are a dependent freshman, $4500 if you are a dependent sophomore, and $5500 if you are a dependent junior or senior. If you are independent (meaning no one can claim you on their tax return), you can borrow up to $7500, $8500, and $10,500, respectively. You must maintain SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress), which is determined by your school. My school requires 36 units per year and a minimum 2.0 GPA. Interest rate is currently at 6.8%.

Stafford Unsubsidized Loan: EXACTLY the same as a subsidized, except that you pay the interest while you are in school. It is capitalized each month (added to the principle); you also do not have to start payments until 6 months after you graduate or fall below full-time status. Interest rate is currently at 6.8%.

PLUS loan: Money you can get with your parents as cosigner. I would not recommend this, as you have to start paying it back right away.

Private loan: No maximum as to what you can borrow as long as it does not exceed your school calculated financial need (what I talked about earlier). Interest rates are higher, generally around 8.5%-9.5%, and are not subsidized; they build up while you are in school. Many private loans DO NOT have SAP requirements, so if you fail some classes you're out the cash for the class but you don't have to worry about being ineligible for further loan money. Only get loans that start payment 6 months after you graduate; you don't want to deal with payment before that.

For your situation, let's take that 24K you want to get in loans. Since you don't have a Stafford, guess what, you're eligible for it! Yay! Even better, you are eligible for BOTH subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans. Lemme give you a breakdown:

Money needed: 24K
Subsidized Stafford Loan: $5500
Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: $5500

24K - 11K = 13K.

So now you've got to come up with 13K in loans. If you don't have any grants or scholarships, the path you want to take is a private loan. And what's nice is that you can borrow that full amount, all 13K. Of course, this is assuming that your calculated school cost minus any applied money is enough to cover that.

Phew! Thats pretty much a general sum of how you can get that needed money. I've been to the financial aid office before and they'll never spend any time explaining this stuff clearly, so I just took the time on my own as a freshman to do just that, instead of going to class. :p

PM me if you need any more help. Good luck and remember, whatever you take out, you've got to put back in.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I'm trying to get one because I'm taking 22 units and working is out of the question. But, there is a problem!

I needed to get some documentation sent from the IRS regarding 2006, so I gave them a call:

I need an xyz form faxed to me so I can get a school loan.
OK, what's your SSN?
I tell them.
Sorry, our records don't associate that number with that name.
...repeats name and social slowly a few times...
No sir, I'm sorry, our system says that SSN does not belong to that name. And since it doesn't I can't give you any further information.

Sooooo, tell me how much fun this is going to be to straighten out...

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Have you considered going to a school where you won't be in so much debt when you graduate?

I see new hires here who will be paying on their school loans for 15 years.