Can I freeze soup in glass containers?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've frozen juices in mason jars before and it was fine, but what about freezing soup in a much larger container? I have these round glass (thick) containers that are about 6" diameter and 3" high. I made a crock pot stew and realized it's quite liquidy can I still freeze in these containers or will it break the glass? I will leave top room for expansion, will it naturally expand upwards because it's the point of least resistance?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If it were me, I'd put the lids on loose til they were frozen solid.

rga

Nov 9, 2011
I guess as long as you leave room at the top for expansion, it should be fine? I don't know though; I try to avoid freezing anything in glass.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I remember freezing something in a glass container once as a kid. The glass broke and I never tried again. Not sure if that was an anomaly or not, no internet to ask then.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
It'll be fine the way you describe it. Loose lids in case you overfilled.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I remember freezing something in a glass container once as a kid. The glass broke and I never tried again. Not sure if that was an anomaly or not, no internet to ask then.

I can't speak to the freezing, but once I took a glass straight from the hot dishwasher and filled it with nice cold milk. Mmmmm milk.

Then I picked up the glass and the bottom just stayed where it was :D

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The lids are a kinda rubbery plastic, so they have some give in them. I'm thinking I'll be fine, so fingers crossed. Just waiting for them to cool to room temp so I don't thermally shock them.

These are a nice size container and being glass, don't have to worry about microwaving them either. They also say freezer, microwave and oven safe, so it's a fairly decent glass.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Aren't you in Canada? Why are you posting in imperial measurements?

rga

Nov 9, 2011
The lids are a kinda rubbery plastic, so they have some give in them. I'm thinking I'll be fine, so fingers crossed. Just waiting for them to cool to room temp so I don't thermally shock them.

These are a nice size container and being glass, don't have to worry about microwaving them either. They also say freezer, microwave and oven safe, so it's a fairly decent glass.

You mean you're using mason jars?

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

He's honorary American. like my black buddies made me an honorary brother (ok that's not the word). We got all fucked up and had a ceremony. It was beautiful bro.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Don't do it. The liquids are bound to expand outward and shatter the container.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Don't do it. The liquids are bound to expand outward and shatter the container.
From his post I'm pretty sure he is talking about Pyrex containers or similar. The lids aren't screwed on so even if the soup expanded, it would just push the lid off.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You mean you're using mason jars?

No, these are much larger, that's why I'm kinda worried, I've frozen liquid in mason jars before and it was fine.

I decided to put them all in the fridge and just put one in the freezer, figured if that works then tomorrow I'll put the rest in freezer.

I used a measuring tape that has both, so I figured I'd give it out in Inches. :p (that sounds dirty)

This is the containers in question:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/anchor-hocking-glass-storage-container-set-6-pc-0428570p.html

iu

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
No, these are much larger, that's why I'm kinda worried, I've frozen liquid in mason jars before and it was fine.

I decided to put them all in the fridge and just put one in the freezer, figured if that works then tomorrow I'll put the rest in freezer.

I used a measuring tape that has both, so I figured I'd give it out in Inches. (that sounds dirty)

iu
Those will freeze fine. I have frozen soup in those before.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

I used a measuring tape that has both, so I figured I'd give it out in Inches. :p (that sounds dirty)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/anchor-hocking-glass-storage-container-set-6-pc-0428570p.html

Those will freeze fine. I have frozen soup in those before.

Yep, have plenty of Pyrex ones just like that except for blue lids.

Have used them to freeze things many times, with no problems.

It even says freezing is fine in the description, Anchor Hocking is good stuff, should work fine.

Just took a bowl of soup beans out of the freezer and stuck in the fridge to start thawing out in a glass bowl myself.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good to know, I kinda figured, but wanted second opinion. It does say they are freeze proof but was not sure if something completely liquid was pushing it's limits.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I can't speak to the freezing, but once I took a glass straight from the hot dishwasher and filled it with nice cold milk. Mmmmm milk.

Then I picked up the glass and the bottom just stayed where it was :D

Did that a bunch of times as a kid too. Cold glass + hot water, and hot glass + cold water. They just cracked. Glass... never again except for alcohol. Seriously, I stick to stainless steel now for most things.

From his post I'm pretty sure he is talking about Pyrex containers or similar. The lids aren't screwed on so even if the soup expanded, it would just push the lid off.

I actually worry more about Pyrex and Anchor Hocking stuff. I think they're tempered, and when tempered things go, they go in a big mess.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
We bought all clear Anchor Hocking and Pyrex dinnerware/glasses, and storage containers and replaced many things over a year ago.

Have frozen with them plenty of times with no problems.

I still wouldn't shove them in the freezer hot of course, but that is obvious.