Question can I disable NVMe slot?

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
I'm new to NVMe drives so forgive the newbie question...after an NVMe drive is installed is there any way for me to disable it without physically removing the drive?...I want the ability to boot into another SATA SSD drive independently...meaning I want to install another copy of Windows 10 onto the SATA drive and use that...is there a setting in the BIOS that disables the NVMe slot?...can I then re-enable it and get back the drive with everything installed on it intact?

with SATA SSD's (and older mechanical hard drives) it was easy to just unplug the SATA cable and plug it into a new drive

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Some Asus motherboards have a way to disable the NVMe slot. However, I believe it's usually the third slot on the back of the board and probably not one you would want to use daily.

You could also make it not available as a boot device.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
Some Asus motherboards have a way to disable the NVMe slot. However, I believe it's usually the third slot on the back of the board and probably not one you would want to use daily.

You could also make it not available as a boot device.

I have the MSI X570 Tomahawk...changing the boot order sounds like a good idea...but will the NVMe still show up in Device Manager since it's physically installed into the board?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have the MSI X570 Tomahawk...changing the boot order sounds like a good idea...but will the NVMe still show up in Device Manager since it's physically installed into the board?

It will unfortunately. I'm not familiar with your MB, but you may want to dig in the bios if there are any other tricks to hide it.