Can i connect my PC to a UPS which is inturn connected to a inveter?

DeadlyTitan

Oct 20, 2017
So am new to this stuff and I'll try to make it as simple as possible, can i connect my desktop to a UPS which is supported by inverter? cause it takes a second for the inverter to kick in and that's the one second which makes the system to restart.

Basically what it is is i have a desktop which is backed up by a pure sinewave inverter, but the problem is it takes a second for the inverter to kick in and that makes my system to restart, once the inverter kicks in there are no other problems so i am thinking about buying a UPS to connect to the PC so it can stay online during the time it takes my inverter to kick in. I dont need any massive backup from the UPS, just enough to keep the computer online until inverter kicks in.

There wont be any complications right? is there something i should know?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
It will work. But it is a tad redundant since the UPS backup power also uses an inverter to convert its DC battery current into AC power.

In fact, it makes more sense to mod a UPS to run off a bigger battery.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
What kind of inverter do you have? Does it output a decent, clean sign wave? Not sure how much that matters as it may depend more on the ups unit. I"ve had odd issues running some units off of cheap generators. Some are fine with a little dirty wave and some don't like it at all.

What power source is feeding the inverter?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If the inverter is pure sine it should be fine. Did it at work before. They had to turn off power for the whole building without the generator so we just plugged our computer UPS into the inverter that feeds the PBX. This allowed us to unplug/replug without shutting down.

That said if you're trying to make an extended run UPS, another approach might be to look at an inverter-charger, make sure you get one that specifies a very fast switch time like <16ms. This is the one I use for my servers: https://www.tripplite.com/750w-powe...ger-auto-transfer-switching-2-outlets~APS750/

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
i have a desktop which is backed up by a pure sinewave inverter, but the problem is it takes a second for the inverter to kick in and that makes my system to restart, once the inverter kicks in there are no other problems so i am thinking about buying a UPS to connect to the PC so it can stay online during the time it takes my inverter to kick in.

You say that you have a desktop backed up by an inverter, but an inverter by itself doesn't back up anything. An inverter by itself is just going to take something like 12v or 24v and up-convert it to something like 115v. So what's powering the inverter? And how is it that you have the inverter configured or setup to act as a backup power source? Maybe what you have was advertised as an inverter, but is actually a UPS?

A UPS has an inverter in it and is designed to backup computers during brownout or full power outages. To me it sounds like you have two UPS... one plugged into the other... with one being a proper UPS and the other being something you rigged together (an inverter connected to some car batteries, a generator)?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's probably safe to assume he has a battery powering the inverter as that is typically how they are powered. Actually, rereading the OP he probably does have an inverter-charger like I suggested but it's one that takes too long to switch over. He would need to find one that switches over faster then no need for a separate UPS.

The best setup is to have it run on inverter all the time and have a DC power supply that keeps the battery at float while powering the inverter, but that's a much more expensive setup and it's hard to find that kind of equipment if you don't design and build it yourself. Basically it's what the telecoms do, but that equipment is not something the average joe can buy easily.