Can DDR2 memory be used on DDR3 motherboards?

MplsBob

Jul 30, 2000

Am I correct in my understanding that DDR2 memory can be used on DDR3 motherboards?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: MplsBob

Am I correct in my understanding that DDR2 memory can be used on DDR3 motherboards?

As of right now, all mobos that support DDR3 will also have DDR2 slots, but the two slots aren't interchangeable despite having the same pincount (IIRC)

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger

As of right now, all mobos that support DDR3 will also have DDR2 slots, but the two slots aren't interchangeable despite having the same pincount (IIRC)

The slots are both electrically different and mechanically different (the notch is in a different location). As you say, the only way to have support for both types is to have two separate sets of slots.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003

The chipsets can support both types, but the motherboard only supports which ever one it has slots for. DDR2 and DDR3 do not use the same slots.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Isn't DDR2 only like a year and a half old? Why didn't they just stick with DDR?
That's what I'd like to know also.
BTW, I didn't they should have cut production of the AMC Pacer either. :laugh:

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Bandwidth. Thats why. DDR3 speeds will be able to ramp higher with less voltage, however I don't think most systems
for at least a year will be able to make the most of it. I am quite happy with my DDR-800.

C Snyder

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
As with ddr2, ddr3 will eventually provide a legitimate benefit but for now because the latencies are so high its not much faster then ddr2, it will probably take a year or so for it to gain enough speed and drop enough in price that it really becomes relevant.

Mar 10, 2007
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Isn't DDR2 only like a year and a half old? Why didn't they just stick with DDR?

I think Intel made the push as their platforms needed the bandwidth and AMD followed after prices went down.

jjsbasmt

Jan 23, 2005
Blain, I'm still laughing. Actually I preferred the Hornet to the Pacer, (Smile)!!