Can cars with temp tags legally park on the street?

Mar 15, 2003
Picking up a car weeks earlier than expected so I don't have parking arrangements worked out (NYC, it's not easy!). Anyone know if it's legal to park on public streets with temp tags? We're only talkig a few days, pickup saturday should get actual plates Monday.

edit: i think the bigger deal is a lack of inspection/registration - ok for a few days, or lot it?

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It should be.

.....hell I'm still on month ~4 of not displaying my required front tag here in MD, because I don't want to ruin my bumper and grill. ....gonna see how long that lasts, lol.

Mar 15, 2003
It should be.

.....hell I'm still on month ~4 of not displaying my required front tag here in MD, because I don't want to ruin my bumper and grill. ....gonna see how long that lasts, lol.

Hah, lucky - NYC is pretty brutal, I've been towed for the silliest reasons. Wish me luck!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm on year 3 with only one plate in NYS, not sure how much they really care.

nice. I know the laws are somewhat fluid from state to state with how enforcement works in 2-tag states. *I think* NY is one where you can't be stopped for it, but can be cited for it if you are stopped for another reason. I don't think that is the case in MD, anymore, but I'm not sure if that's enforced. I see nothing but endless reckless driving everywhere I go, and the cops don't seem to care. So I assume I'm even smaller potatoes (but of course, it never works that way).

There was a bill being passed around in MD legislature to overturn the 2-tag law last year, but it never made it to a vote (apparently there is money to be made for some people)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
i think the bigger deal is a lack of inspection/registration - ok for a few days, or lot it?

Is this a new car? You should at least have temporary registration, which is tied to those tags. It's basically the same thing (even if you bought used--you should get a receipt for the temp tags which works as registration). As far as inspection, not required for new car, right? For a used car...well, if it's within its dates then it should be fine.

Mar 15, 2003
Is this a new car? You should at least have temporary registration, which is tied to those tags. It's basically the same thing (even if you bought used--you should get a receipt for the temp tags which works as registration). As far as inspection, not required for new car, right? For a used car...well, if it's within its dates then it should be fine.

Used. Ok, cool - didn't realize there's temporary registration (it's an out of state purchase). Thank you!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I thought the transit permit is good for a week or so?

Still have to obey local ordinance though.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought the transit permit is good for a week or so?

Still have to obey local ordinance though.

our temp tags are valid for 60 days. Takes some DMVs that long to get your tags delivered. Because, you know, DMV.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
This seems like a very specific issue in your specific city, why would you post about it on ATOT and not search the city website?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
nice. I know the laws are somewhat fluid from state to state with how enforcement works in 2-tag states. *I think* NY is one where you can't be stopped for it, but can be cited for it if you are stopped for another reason. I don't think that is the case in MD, anymore, but I'm not sure if that's enforced. I see nothing but endless reckless driving everywhere I go, and the cops don't seem to care. So I assume I'm even smaller potatoes (but of course, it never works that way).

There was a bill being passed around in MD legislature to overturn the 2-tag law last year, but it never made it to a vote (apparently there is money to be made for some people)

TX here, haven't had a front tag on my Camaro for 20 years. Been pulled over about a dozen times for it by State Troopers but never got a ticket and I am not drilling holes in my front bumper. I think they just use it to try and find other things to nail me on. I even stopped feigning ignorance several years ago. City cops have never even mentioned it.

Seems like changing the law comes up every couple months but nothing ever actually happens.

Mar 15, 2003
This seems like a very specific issue in your specific city, why would you post about it on ATOT and not search the city website?

our dmv site is awful (i tried, the info is for local temp plates not out of state), and their customer service hotline usually has a multi-hour wait

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
TX here, haven't had a front tag on my Camaro for 20 years. Been pulled over about a dozen times for it by State Troopers but never got a ticket and I am not drilling holes in my front bumper. I think they just use it to try and find other things to nail me on. I even stopped feigning ignorance several years ago. City cops have never even mentioned it.

Seems like changing the law comes up every couple months but nothing ever actually happens.

I checked a few months ago on the world wide interweb to see if I could find any local experience to one-tag driving in MD. I think it was a BMW forum, most recent post ~2014 or so, where one owner mentioned being stopped for something else, and ticketed $50 for the one tag. Another dude said it took about 2 months for them to stop him. Experience seems a bit fluid. Some NJ, I think, owners said that they've gone 30 years or more without displaying the front tag and no issues.

My plan is just to keep my car looking new enough and feign ignorance: "Oh yeah, I just got the car and received my tags last weekend. I was in the process of mounting the front tag--see, it's in the trunk! [I keep it there for just that purpose]--but the VW-supplied front mounting bracket didn't have bolt holes aligned with the MD tag, and I didn't have time to find a way to mount it without damaging the car...but I forgot about it all, unfortunately. Thank you very much for reminding me, kind officer sir and please don't shoot me!"

....well, that's changed a little bit because I did eventually mount it to the bracket and it sits in the trunk, almost ready to go. The bracket has clips on the bottom that allow it to grab the grill mesh, and the top is expected to be bolted in. I was fortunate that the dealer didn't go ahead and drill holes without permission first. ...I think that shop "got it," at least for the chuds that drive a GTI, like myself.

My plan has been to use some 3M dualock to tape the top of the plate bracket to the bumper, so that if I want/need to remove it, should be easy with a heat gun and no damage. ...the 2nd problem is that the top of the bracket isn't really flush on the back, and I think is too deep to affix one of the 3M strips so that it properly binds to the strip on the bumper. ...so now I'm stuck there. but whatever. I'm not mounting one of those ridiculous towhook mounts (or similar) for an off-center mount. I hate that.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
our dmv site is awful (i tried, the info is for local temp plates not out of state), and their customer service hotline usually has a multi-hour wait

Well, DMV probably isn't going to have the info you want for this. Best to look for city/municipal street enforcement codes for parking and permit/tag display. Granted, if you find such a page, it will most likely forward you to the DMV home page, which either doesn't have the info or forwards you to the City home page. :D