Can anyone translate Chinese names for me?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Can anyone translate Chinese names for me?
I suppose it would be spelled phonetically:
<last name> Ja Huan or Jah Huan
The last name is not part of the meaning, as I understand it, and is said first.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm not sure if you realize this, but there are different dialects for Chinese. And as for the name... usually there are 3 characters, not 2. surname, middle name, and first name.

And even if you were able to 'translate' it, there won't necessary be any meaning to it.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
phoenetically i can't make anything out of it. got the characters?

meanings of names are usually very vague, and there are so many words with the same pronouciations so it's very difficult to tell.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
wow, I know it is basically an impossible task.
And, I bet these forums can't do the font, even if I had it.
Just take some guesses, and I will figure it out.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
at least do you know which dialect is it? different chinese dialects sound like different languages.

actually n/m this is a pretty much impossible task

there are like 100 words with those pronounciations, each word has several meanings. in combination who knows what the parents had in mind when they thought of the name

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Like i said, there are different dialects of Chinese. If you don't know what a dialect is, it's the regional differences of the language. Although officially the dialect is Mandarin in China, you're more likely to find Cantonese in NA. But there are also different variations. In some Chinatowns i'm seeing a pattern of a lot more Huanese.

And also like i said, more than likely there isn't any 'meaning' to the name. It's not like Native Indians where you have Sitting Bull, Stands with Fist, Dances with Wolves, etc. LOLOLOL