Can anyone teach me how to baby clock?

hunkeelin

Feb 14, 2012
as the title said.

like baby clocking a 3820 to 4ghz using a rampage iv extreme. It is my first time ocing.

system spec
cpu: 3820
gpu: 6970 cfx
storage: vertex III ocz max iops
psu: 1000w cooler master silent pro
soundcard: titianium fata1ty creative
storage II: 3tb
mobo: rampage iv extreme

BEFORE, you starting saying "WTF U BUY A RAMPAGE IV EXTREME AND UR NEW TO OC TROLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!????? AND.. ONLY 4GHZ LOLOLOLOL!!!?" spare me with that and tell me how to babyclock the 3820 4ghz

i solely buy the 3820 because i want to own a rampage iv extreme. as the current sandy bridge-e isn't good enough, i'm hoping the 3820 will satisfy my need until ivy bridge -e come out. THEN i will start LN2 and some insane clocking. note that the 3820 has lock multiplier

Last edited:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
You should be able to hit 4ghz on that without really changing anything (voltage, etc). Just up the multiplier from 36 to 40 and give it a try. The below review has a pretty decent description of OC options for that CPU.

On my SB-E, I used a combination of a base clock change (132mhz) and multiplier change (35) to hit my ~4.6. With 4 cores, you can probably hit that same speed with less voltage (cooler) or even higher OC. I have not seen the max OC yet for the 3820, but I would think you should be able to get pretty high...

Edit: Some folks have better luck leaving the base clock alone and just changing the multi, while others may have better luck the other way. If you just want 4ghz, I would say the multiplier change would be the easiest. 36multi x 125 base clock would give you 4.5Ghz, for example.

http://www.techspot.com/review/492-intel-core-i7-3820/page9.html

Last edited by a moderator: