Can anyone recommend a credit counseling service?

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Ok, ready to try and attack this here debt and without some pretty big steps, I'll be stuck in limbo forever.

Reading a bunch of stuff on myvesta.org. Anyone have any recommendations of and/or experiences with any credit counselors?

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Thanks guys.

Gonna be trying for the move to New York in the next year, gotta get my debt at least started on the right track.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
From what I hear a credit counseling service can arrange to have your credit card interest lowered to a reasonable level so you have a chance of paying off your debt. The down side is the credit card can report you as not paying as agreed and lower your credit score. I have also heard the if the credit card writes-off any of your debt (not sure if that includes the interest) they will send you an IRS from 1099 and you are required to pay taxes on that "income" that they ?gave? you.

What I have read for sure is that once you start credit counseling you cannot take on any new debt until you see the old through. So if you need a new car, dental work, or anything that you have to charge, get it done now. If you stop credit counseling without paying off your lenders, they will consider you to be in default and really fvckup your credit!

Good luck and let us know what you find out. I hope a wealthy relative dies soon and remembers you in their will.