Can anyone read Chinese?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
I have a 9k file with a picture of a girls name.
I want to know what it means, so I can email or AIM it to you if you don't mind translating it for me.

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
the name will mean absolutely nothing...

the most that can be done is getting how it sounds...

Chinese names generally have no significant meanings and individually each character has multiple meanings. Chinese parents don't give names specifically for meaning.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
yes. me! I have study chinese for more than 10 years+ since when I was 5? I hate it now, but I can read chinese :D

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Originally posted by: jacob0401
the name will mean absolutely nothing...

the most that can be done is getting how it sounds...

Chinese names generally have no significant meanings and individually each character has multiple meanings. Chinese parents don't give names specifically for meaning.
Wo bu hui shuo zhongwen.... ye bu hui kan.

I know what my GF's name means... I also know the meaning of all my female cousins' names, my mom's name, and my aunt's names. Why do you say the names don't have meanings? Each character has a meaning, so you can get an implied meaning for a name.

As for the OP, it's not clear to me what he wants. I mean, do you just want to know the meanings of a sentence or some characters? If so, have you tried Babelfish?

I'm not good with reading... my GF usually does translations for me. I'm sure there are many here who do read, though.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i can try it. native chinese speaker.

though the meaning of a name is usually very vague and not always possible to really tell without knowing the story behind it(if there is one). hell the name doesn't even have to have a meaning. maybe it just sounds nice.

Murphy Durphy

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2003
Her name wouldn't by any chance be Ishucka Gooh Dik would it? I could probably help you there. Otherwise, probably not. :(

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: HajikuFlip
Her name wouldn't by any chance be Ishucka Gooh Dik would it? I could probably help you there. Otherwise, probably not. :(

That would sound more Japanese than Chinese.. there are hardly any words with those syllables!

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Originally posted by: DaWhim
yes. me! I have study chinese for more than 10 years+ since when I was 5? I hate it now, but I can read chinese :D

You got a PM or just add me to your AIm list and I can Im the picture of the name to you.

PrincessGuard

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn
i can try it. native chinese speaker.

though the meaning of a name is usually very vague and not always possible to really tell without knowing the story behind it(if there is one). hell the name doesn't even have to have a meaning. maybe it just sounds nice.

Everyone in my family (dad's side) was named based on the number of strokes in the characters. So it doesn't even have to sound nice :)

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: glen
Can anyone read Chinese?

LOL there's about a billion of them out there... I'm sure about a third of them can read Chinese!!

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
e-mail it to me, i can pick out a few characters here and there.....most of it is going to be phonetic if it's a name.....THEN meaning

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
lol, for some reason when i read these forums I see every poster as an American 20 year old white male. not that I really care who posts, its just funny how wrong I am.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
lol, for some reason when i read these forums I see every poster as an American 20 year old white male. not that I really care who posts, its just funny how wrong I am.

lol, indeed. Me too. I guess it helps that it would describe me accurately. :D